A

Anonymous

My yellow leather is biting the dust. He has begun to rot/turn brown around the edges. Tank parimeters seem fine. I have given him 2 iodine baths. I have metal halide lighting and he is near the top. He gets good water circulation. I have other leathers that are doing fine. Does anyone have any other suggestions. I hate to lose him.

Thanks in advance for your help

A

Anonymous

I had the same prob. I tok several cuttings of the good tissue, and only one survived. That was one year ago. It seems to be a slow grower, referece says they need a lot of light!

RWB

A

Anonymous

Alas, I just went through this same failure with mine. All paramteters were exact, gave a single bath, high in the column under the lights good water flow for it, and it bent and bent and bent, and then began to turn a greyish brownish color on some tips and another day later, it was hard as a rock, and pieces were falling off. I was perplexed because everyhting else I have is thriving........so if anyone can sport up a good answer, the two of us would be appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Hi,
After having the same experience with the yellow leathers, I have been told that
you need to cut and propagate these in order for them to survive. They are prone to infections during shipping, but the new cuttings can avoid this. My LFS said they always start any shipment of yellow leathers with this procedure. I haven't purchased any to try this yet.
... Jim

A

Anonymous

Well, I always add an extra dose of iodine after I propogate mine and it seems to help them recover quicker. Don't know if it would help in your situation..........RR

A

Anonymous

For my Yellow Leather I've seen the same thing happen. I talked to the LFS I purchased it from and they told me to point a power head to blow over the top of it. I tried this and it seems to have worked. They like ALOT of current. I now have a small 301 powerhead that blows over the top of it constantly and haven't had any more problems. Reef58 is right, they require ALOT of light and TLC to survive.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Keith Strickland
[email protected]

A

Anonymous

I have had similar experiences as others. When first purchased from Jeff's, my yellow leather had some infected spots.( check out www.reefs.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/005287.html
for the discussion)
I used a turkey baster daily to blow off the brown crud and dosed a little heavier with seachem reef plus. It seemed to recover very well within a week. I moved it lower and closer to some current and it is now growing well.

You can see it on the right at www.momentoffame.com/more_from_person.html?id=3727

[This message has been edited by sharkdude (edited 16 May 2000).]

[This message has been edited by sharkdude (edited 16 May 2000).]

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies. I have alot of current over him, but will try to increase it more. Also think I will try the Seachem Reef Plus. Of the additives I put in, I hear that more and more people like the Seachem Reef products. Think I will try that.
Thanks Again.

A

Anonymous

I have two of these guys that i bought a month or two ago from another hobbiest. When I first put them in, they both looked horrible for a couple weeks. Slightly green in spots, constricted, black spots, the whole deal. I did nothing but wait for them to adjust. Then both started looking alot better. One of them we had to move, and he actually moved himself over to get more light and i came home to find him getting stung by my Hydnophora. Had to move thione again, and now the uglies are back, along with a nice burn on one of his edges. Honestly, I plan on just watching leaving it alone. From my limited experience with these leathers, and with leathers in general, sometimes less is more. I've got good current on it, and I'm confident it will make a good comeback. It may take a week or so. But, I have plenty of time... Good luck.

A

Anonymous

Hi Go Blue,

Have you had it for awhile or did you just get it. The yellow leathers don't ship very well and it is common for them to develop black necrotic areas (especially around the edges). The best thing you can do as some stated here is to give it really good turbulent current to wash away and areate the infected areas. When I got mine, it developed this problem and I put it in a turbulent spot and crossed my fingers. Luckily, it healed itself after about 10 days.

John Susbilla
Please visit my Reef Flat at:
http://www.homestead.com/reefflat/files/index.htm

A

Anonymous

I've had it about a month and a half now. Yesterday when I got home, he looked better than he had in awhile. He was turned up somewhat with some polyps extended. He still has some brown areas though. Does anyone recomend continuing Iodine baths, or should I just let him be?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Go Blue: Would just keep in a med-high current area and keep dosing with the Reef Plus....one of the ingredients of Reef Plus is Iodide so I believe you have that aspect covered. Remember that Reef Plus has to stay in the refrigerator once you open the bottle.........RR

A

Anonymous

I've had mine for about 1.5 years after loosing the 1st. I found out few remarks about this nice corals.

They Love water movement & light a lot.
Make sure that the crown doesn't toch anything, even live rock. When this happen, the spot that was being in contact rout out very fast. If you don't pay attention to it, the whole head might crash. I add a little bit of Iodine on a biweekly basis.

When I got mine it was about 5" & grew to about 8" before it split in half. Now I have 2 of them about 5" ea.

Good luck.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: