A

Anonymous

I think the subject says it all.

I know there are a variety that they will take to, but I am trying to discover what a common one is. So, far I know of several that took to frilly mushrooms, and one to a feather duster.

TIA
smile.gif

------------------
E >< () !) !_! S

A

Anonymous

My ocellaris has yet to host my green frilly shroom...has been 3 weeks, and still I hope.

A

Anonymous

Ricordia,goniopora, leather, elegances. I have one that primarily stays in the elegance, the other guy roams around(female)to the other corals listed above.

Bill

A

Anonymous

I have one that is in love with my Colt coral. It also can be seen flipping out on my hairy mushrooms as well, but at bed time it's always in the Colt

A

Anonymous

Xenias! My clowns love the xenias. They never liked the anemone... not my finger leater... not even this huge colony of star polyps.... but they love the xenias.

A

Anonymous

A pair of Ocellaris that I've had for about 7 years used to live in a Colt coral, then they moved into a Stichodactyla haddoni carpet anemone and forgot all about the Colt. The haddoni only lived about a year, and they've been in a large Sarcophyton ever since.

I think they take to the Colt most readily, especially if the clowns are tank raised. If they are wild-caught, or have been in carpet anemones before, then the Sarcophyton seems to be a closer substitute.

------------------
Matt Marulla
Owner - Inland Reef Aquaria
http://www.inlandreef.com

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone for your input... I will definitely be archiving this thread. So, it sounds like a colt, hammer, and hairy mushrooms seem to be the most consistent so far. I think it would be interesting to find out what other corals were in the tank so that one might be able to figure out what exactly an occellaris prefers. For instance, you may have only hairy mushrooms in your tank and not a colt coral, but if you were to add a colt coral, it would go to that one instead. I guess it would be something like 'coral-host dependencies'. Hmmm... anyway, keep 'em coming if there is more.

------------------
E >< () !} !_! S

"So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems,... And God saw that it was good."
(Genesis 1:21)

A

Anonymous

my two common clowns have taken to mushrooms at first but now have moved to the center of my candy coral head. they love it and protect it.

A

Anonymous

I have 2 clowns, the female "owns" my carpet and the smaller male goes for the Colt, as I mentioned in my earlier post.

The male does go to the hairy mushrooms and even my HUGH leather toadstool, but loves the Colt. I also have a very large Frogspawn but it doesn't go near it.

I would go with the Colt as it is really easy to keep and there is a lot of room for the Clown to snuggle up!

A

Anonymous

Mine selected a colt, and then later a stand of xenia that grew up around it.

FWIW, I have the impression that they selected as much for the location in the tank as the corals they inhabit. For their entire spawning lives, the have laid their eggs in exactly the same spot (on a powerhead)which is near to the return from the sump. They never stray more than a few inches from this location, even to feed.

------------------
Randy Holmes-Farley

A

Anonymous

I have quite a few Ocellaris clowns that I raised myself, so they have to find inovative hosts since there are many in the same tank. I've seen mine go into zoanthids, Anthelia, torch corals, featherdusters, and Nepthea.

- Greg Hiller

A

Anonymous

Mine never seemed interested in any of my corals (I don't have any anemones) until a few weeks ago. Now he won't leave my Colt coral for more that 5 seconds! He "sleeps" in it at night, and defends it if other fish come near. Its really interesting to watch.......

------------------
Neptune

A

Anonymous

I would recommend a "colt" coral as an alternate hosts for your clowns. Other corals have been mentioned, but the colt is IMO the best, as the clowns readily take to it, the coral is easy to keep, and the coral doesn't seem to be disturbed in the least by the clowns.

HTH
James

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: