A

Anonymous

Hi,

Your best bet is to find a picture of both. Camels have a distinct hump on the back and have red & white stripes. Peppermints don't have a pronounced hump and have red & clear stripes on their bodies. Peppermints don't really have any distinct white stripes and can appear almost see through at times. Camels have brighter red coloring on their bodies. Camels, of course, aren't reef safe. Peppermints are reef safe in most situations but have been known to develop an appetite for certain polyps.

HTH, Laura

A

Anonymous

A

Anonymous

Thanks you guys. Just wanted to make sure I got the peppermints. Hey MegaD, any aptasia eatin' going on with those peppermints? How about corals? Thinking of putting a couple in one of my reefs, tired of giving them the big injection.

thanks.

elvis

A

Anonymous

I bought 5 small peppermint shrimp to take care of my aptasia problem a few months back. After adding them I didn't see any change in my aptasia population for at least a week. I also didn't see any signs of the shrimp.

A week or two later I noticed all the baby aptasia were gone, pretty much all over the tank. Another week or two later most of the big aptasia were gone too. About a week ago the only aptasia left were a few adult ones, maybe 3 or 4 in the tank. The shrimp weren't eating these ones and were coming out to collect food when I fed my fish.

I rearranged my rock since then, and noticed only a single peppermint in my tank. Looks like I lost the other four. But after moving the rock around it looks like he ate the last of the aptasia. I can't spot a single aptasia anywhere in my tank now. That's pretty satisfying.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: