A

Anonymous

I bought a 1.5" T. Maxima over the weekend and I'm having trouble keeping it on the rock. Tonight, I'm going to place a couple of other rocks around the clam so it can not wobble itself off the rock I want it to attach to. However, I have a few concerns:
1) Does it keep moving cause it doesn't like where it is (on a piece of rock at the bottom of the tank, low current) ?
2) I have considered placing the clam in a 1/2 clam shell filled with substrate. This method appears to be more stable, but is it wise for a T. Maxima for which the natural local seems to be on rocks?
3) I did not see a byssal Gland out of the opening. Is this an issue or has it simply retracted it through the transport process from LFS to my home?

Thanks much in advance.

A

Anonymous

Wolverines,

Tell me about your lighting & tank size.

Regards,

Scott

A

Anonymous

If you can attach it to some large clam shells and then place it appropriately. This way if the clam isnt responding to a ceratin location you will be able to move it without tearing the foot! Which will be fatal!

A

Anonymous

Scott -
Lighting: 2x 96W PC 2X40W NO- Actinics
Tank: 45 Gal. 48"x24"x13" + 15 G sump

fishchevious - is setting the clam in a half shell advisable? The rock I currently have it in is small for the purpose of mobility. In either case, I want the flexibility to move the clam around in case it needs to be closer to the lighting. I ask the half shell question b/c it seems easier, yet I don't want to do the wrong thing.

A

Anonymous

No prob with the shell, will do just fine. Put it up as high as you can so it retains most of it's color.

A

Anonymous

With one of my clams, a T.Derasa, I placed it on the substrate, let it attach to it, and then dropped the attached substrate into a hole in my LR high in the tank. It then attached to the rock within the day. The substrate attached made it bottom heavy and kept it sucure on the LR until attachment to the LR.

A

Anonymous

I tried placing the clam in a large hole in the LR. I first filled the hole with sand to help it remain upright. However, this morning I found it laying on its side. Every morning I find it in this position. It seems to be happier in the side position. Come to think of it that is how it was at the LFS. SHould I keep it on its side or put in the ffort to keep it upright?

A

Anonymous

The Byssal area is very open to attack from worms and other creatures looking for a quick meal. Keep trying to get it attached to something.
Sorry for the abrupt post but I dont want to see what happened to me happen to you.
Good luck
Dan.

------------------
SAVE A LIFE
Read Research & Question

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: