A

Anonymous

My wife bought me clam for Father's Day but she can't remember what it is clalled. It is small (3" across) with a hard clam shell. The opening is bright red and it has hair on the edges. Any help?

Zeph

A

Anonymous

it is hard to tell without a picture.
just call the store and find out.

A

Anonymous

Hey Zeph. Most likely, you really got a flame scallop. These creatures need some specialized care, so you would be well advised to do some research into their care. Beautiful creatures, but IMO a bit tougher than the Tridacnad Sp. Happy Father's day....

A

Anonymous

I checked out some pics on the net and it is definitely a flame scallop. It doesn't sound like people have had any luck with them. They seem to starve to death.

Maybe I should take it back. however, my wife may be hurt if I do so. Is there any way to feed it successfully? Anyone?

A

Anonymous

Hello,

Some recommends yeast(you would have to culture and then rinse them before use).
Phyto-plankton(same thing used for commercial bivalve and shellfish production) might be the best, if you have access to green water or cryo-paste. The worst thing you could try would probably be commercial aquarium inverterbrate liquid food(probably only suitable as bacteria or algae food). All these methods could, however, cause algae blooms from the increased nutrient load.

Best regards.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: