A

Anonymous

Just got a ritteri anemone and after reading in books and on these posts, I feel I should be feeding it. Now, exactly how and when do you feed it and what? Thanks for any advise.

A

Anonymous

I USE TO FEED MINE ANY TYPE OF FISH I CARRY IN MY FRIDGE TWICE A WEEK

A

Anonymous

I use a turkey baster with a piece of thin airlift tubing pushed into the end. I had to use a piece of soft airline as a sort of bushing to hold it in. I feed a condylactus brine shrimp or flake food or whatever else I am feeding the fish. If I don't feed the fish first they and the shrimp try and steal it from him.

A

Anonymous

i've had great luck feeding my Condylactus with freeze-dried shrimp.

i make up two pieces, one small, one big. the small piece goes in first, and is invariably stolen by the hawkfish, who watched such activity... well, like a hawk.

the second chunk is then given to the anemone, who seems to really get into it... for the next few days he'll be larger and generally sassy-looking.

at first, i was using my hand to feed him, which works ok if your hands and arms are clean. recently i got a lond wooden dowel (rod) and attached a small brad (nail) to one end..... thread the food onto this nail (i'm looking for a suitable non-metallic substitute for the nail) and feed that way...

the anemone then really has to 'fight' for the food, in order to pull it off of the nail, plus i don't get stung as much (at all)

have fun!

A

Anonymous

thanks for all of the info- i finally got some bamboo scuewers and tore up little pieces of regular shrimp out of the freezer
and fed the anemone and my open brain. Both found it easy to get food off of the end since it is pointed. Try to find these at any cooking store or in the cooking section of walmart, kmart, etc.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: