jamesw

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is everyone doing w/ the course so far? How many of you are still with us?

Are you enjoying the lectures and discussion sessions?

How many of you are still attending one or both of the sessions?

How about some feedback now that we are about 1/3 of the way through the course. That way if we're are not doing something that we should be doing we still have time to correct it, and vice versa.

Cheers
James Wiseman

Mickey

Long Time Lurker
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
James:

Enjoying the course immensely, but struggling a bit with the material. It's been a long time since biology 101 (20+ years). Just when I think I have this weeks material down I get to the part in Ron's lecture where he says by now you should be able to ...... and I realize how much I really didn't get, didn't retain, or can't access but I know it's in there somewhere.
icon_confused.gif

I have only attended the Wednesday discussion session so far as 1:00 on Sunday's just doesn't work for me. But I am trying to review the logs from it.

Overall things are going fine as I knew it would be challenging. I still struggle sometimes matching Ron's lecture references to figures with the illustrations at the end. Somehow my numbering system doesn't always match up, but I manage okay.

Thanks for all your work to put this course together. I am looking forward to taking another.

Mickey

Green Lantern

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm enjoying the course. I've just one problem, there isn't enough time to read the lecture and text reading by the Wednesday discussion. I suggested in another thread that the new lecture be made available after Sunday's discussion but never got a response one way or the other.

jamesw

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the response was that it was not possible. The lectures are issued weekly and Monday is the day they are issued.

Can you finish the reading by the Sunday discussion session 6 days after receiving the lecture...:)

Cheers
James

Green Lantern

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a couple of boys to look after the Sunday discussion isn't always available and I like to be read up for the Wednesday discussion but am finding it difficult. Just a suggestion. BTW, when you guys discussed it, the suggestion was made to have the lecture available before the Sunday lecture. I suggested after the lecture as a compromise. Just a thought.

The course is very well put together and I'm learning a lot so I don't want you to think I'm complaining. I'm just whinning a little.

JoshF

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being gone for a week has made it "interesting" to keep up. I'm keeping afloat, but studying reefkeeping gets the #1 spot for any excess time. It is a lot of material, but I guess I view that as a bonus. Just like MACO2 with Eric, I am viewing this course as a source of archive and reference material, as well as a jumping off point for academic study (read: long hours in dusty UW library.) As long as I can break down relevant points from lecture and reading and add in clarifications from the discussions, I'm calling that keeping up. As for the discussions, I can only attend the Wednesday one, and with my work schedule getting nasty before the Holidays, even that one is under the gun. However, that's what the logs are for!

I'm enjoying it so far!

Josh

ATJ

Old Sea Dog
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much like the others, I am enjoying the course but having trouble keeping up with the reading. I can usually finish the reading by the end of each week, but don't have time to do all the lab exercises. I'm hoping to be able to catch up over the break.

MKScom

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still here too. Struggling like many of the others with all the reading. Much of it seems very clear as I read, but when I try to explain it to my husband I realize I don't have the vocabulary firmly ensconced in memory and sometimes don't have the ideas right either. I suspect if there were time to re-read everything and also cross-check Ron's lectures with the text, that I'd get it straight, but maybe I'll just have to take the course a second time!
I sometimes ask dumb questions in the discussions (all of which I've happily attended), either because I've forgotten what I read or I haven't finished the reading (especially Wednesday!), but keep asking, in hopes of learning.
To sum up so far, I've not learned as much as I'd like to have, but know much more than I knew--enough to make the course worth it.
MartyB

Sea Serpent

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I will be honest. The reading has been a bit too much for me. I fear that I have gotten in over my head. I have had to resign myself to taking what I can from the course and letting go of the rest. Once I got behind in the reading, I lost my confidence -. I will contine to try, but I may not be able to continue. I do not have a degree in biology and the detail is a bit more than I need. I have a beautiful reef tank and found that I was neglecting it by trying to keep up. Sorry. I will keep trying.

PaulaO

desertreefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As with everyone else, keeping up with the reading is a challenge.

The lab experiments have been oodles of fun! I had to drag my microscope with me to Sacramento and get an aptasia from a local LFS to do the last assignments. (My dad had hip replacement surgery and I stayed with my parents for two weeks to help my mom. Of course, my mom and dad got biology lessons while I was there.)

I am also experiencing the same thing as MickeyDee...I read, do the labs and think I'm understanding things pretty well. Then comes Dr. Ron's "by now you should now be able to..." and all I can think is "you gotta be kidding, right?".

I think it would be much easier to take this class in person, rather than over the net. The subject matter is much more detailed and complex than our class on coral biology. Sometimes it's difficult to ask questions in the chat session because I forgot how to spell one of the terms, or it takes too long to type out the question.

In all, I'm enjoying it. But it ain't exactly a walk in the park!
icon_smile.gif

rshimek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Some comments...

Yes, there is a lot of reading. Unfortunately, it is the "nature of the beast." Sorry.

JoshF - the UW library that contains this material is the Allen Library - it was built a few years ago with money from Paul Allen (Microsoft co-founder) and is a wonderful place to work. It ain't dusty!
icon_biggrin.gif

Puppyfish - the only dumb question is one that goes unasked. If you have a question, it is likely other folks do as well, so please ask it. If it is not relevent to the material at hand, I will try to answer it privately and get back to you.

Sea Serpent

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to clarify that my inability to keep up is not a reflection on the course or the material. I really thought that I would have the time - I really DO have the desire. (I guess I just read slowly - the material is so dense that it requires double the reading time). This is my first attempt at an "on-line" course and I find that I miss the "classroom face-to-face" interaction. I will probably log onto the chat sessions to "listen".
Thanks Dr. Ron for all of time and preparation that you have put into this course. I will probably continue with it, and then if it is offered again, will sign up again and participate more the second time.
PaulaO

seasailor

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree with Sea Serpent - the classroom "face time" is really lost on the internet. I read the chat logs as oppossed to getting involved in the chats - usually time constraints but also the format of chats - just not linear enough for me
icon_smile.gif
The lecture notes are very good and the lack of a color printer makes me go back and highlight per the computer screen hence additional learning!
Overall - great course and I would highly recommend to anyone with a strong interest and/or moderate background.

Cheers, Charles

snoball

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The course has been rough to sat the least by just depending on the lecture notes. It's been 28 years since I took any zoology courses. BUT THE GREAT NEWS IS: I finally got my text yesterday! Never will order from chapters again... 9 weeks delivery on something that was promised in 3 to 4 weeks. Hopefully with this reference things will fall more in to place and now to catch up... Hold on DOC.. slow down...hehehe. RayS
icon_biggrin.gif

Latezonatus

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm finding the reading a bit difficult, but am learning much anyway. I'm enjoying it but can only attend the Wednesday chat but I read the Sunday logs. Thanks for all the the time you and Ron have put into this class, it's greatly appreciated!

Janna

JoshF

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ron: That's good news about the UW library! I've only been up here in WA about 8 months, and have been FAR too busy to make it up to the campus for anything besides a stroll through the greenhouses. They have some really cool orchid varieties there (one of my other expensive, difficult hobbies....) and are just as much eye candy as reef organisms.

As for the net vs. college lecture.... I spent 4 years not that long ago getting all the comparison I could want. I found it difficult to get many relevant questions answered in a classroom with a minimum of 50 people and a maximum of 350. Office hours were a joke. People would wait an hour in line to clarify a point from the lecture. One of the main things I have found rewarding about this class is that I have a hard-copy of the lecture so that I know I didn't write something down incorrectly (important when you don't know the terminology!) Even though I haven't been able to attend the cats lately, the logs are still there, as is e-mail, and this board. It's almost hard to not get questions answered! It also makes for a nice archive for easy review. I just thought I'd put in a moderately and respectfuly dissenting opinion.

PaulaO and others: Even if you feel swamped (and I know I do) take what you can from it. Who says you have to have everything read by the end of the course? Anything meaningful is worth sticking out as long as you can integrate it into your life. Certainly don't let your tank or your life suffer to keep up. However, there is a ton of subject matter that is directly relevant to reef-keeping contained in the class. Even if you don't want to be an invertebrate biologist, surely you can skim the material at your leisure over the next year or so, e-mail Ron, and get a pretty good grasp of the parts that interest you. I will honestly not remember most of the fine points that have been brought up in lecture. However I can always go back and review.

Just my $0.02!

amber

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so glad to read that I am not the only swamped-student! The reading is tough but I still find it interesting. I also found out that I know "nothing" about biology. My knowledge is too old (read 30+years) and probably mis-filed too :)
I too had to "back off" and remind myself that I wasn't in a college class and I did not need to maintain my average (thank goodness!) I've already decided I would take the course a second time if the same one is presented. I love the material...love it. wish I wouldn't have spent all those years behind that desk.....oh well. thanks for the opportunity to take this class.
soniaz
icon_smile.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: