• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

reeferism

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Rob, I have seen your presentation in person and have read most of your works on DSB's. I have also run a DSB (around 6-7 inches) for around 3 to 4 years. I am about to set up a new tank (fairly large system) and I am debating on weither or not to use a DSB and/or weither to make it romete or not.

I fully understand the concept of a DSB but have had a few issues with it over the years.
1. I find that after a 3 year period I am begining to see a build of detious that looks to me to be strangleing the proces of the DSB. it has occured about an 1 1/2 down and is bottleing up the passage of nitrogen gas. the bed is active with infuana but they are also having trouble penentrating this area. I would say the bed's effectiveness is cut in half. Have you run into this and or what would be your thoughts.
2. With all this talk of toxin intake by sand beds and LR I was wondering what yourr thoughts on this would be. I myself tend not to take Hmmm his word for alot but he is not the only one talking about it.
3 the last disagreement would be estically.

On the question of remoting the DSB what would your thoughts thier be. I was concidering using a 100 gallon rubbermaid hard shell vat and going with a conciderably deep bed, say 12 inches. the thing I am worried about would be contact time. if I had to slow the water flow to a point in order to get a good contact time do you really think the bed would have any good effects on the main tank. The bio load of the tank fish wise willbe low but the coral population high.

thanks and I await yuour reply.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: