• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Maoiwowie

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am writing to anyone that cares to opine about the efficacy of the nudibranch C. Varians as a way to control C. Retrogemma (flatworms)that are spreading like wild fire in my tank. I have a 150 reef that is littered with the little red devils. Albeit harmless they are an eyesore. Problem is that my LFS never has the nudibranch and i am forced to purchase them via internet and will be sent to me without a stay alive guarantee. I guess these die easily in transit; moreover, i hear these things die easily period and have a natural short life span of about 1 to 2 yrs. How many do you think i need to eat say 10,000 worms?...I have a six line wrasse which does nothing to control this plague.

DD

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Maoi. Sorry I couldn't respond to you before, glad to see you here. I just got back from spending the day in L.A. with BobF & Co. at some of the wholesalers. Too bad I missed Bob Holly, though...don't know if he'd remember me..

Anyway, let's give this here thread a BUMP.

Please stick around, Maoi! Oh yeah, some others have been posting about flatworms, try a search here, and in the Advanced Aquarist database as well...I think I already linked you to our library here, yeah?

Maoiwowie

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply...I did read the post by K.Thomas and does detail some great although exacting methods of elimination and control. I would still like to hear from a "layman" aquarist that has actually purchased and used C. Varians and his results. Im assuming the critters were attached to my live rock or coral. Seems like the expanding importation of various kinds of live rock originiating from the indonesian region or south pacific and improper curing techniques will only increase the occurrence of this outbreak in home aquaria. Hobbyists beware!

Cheers,

DD

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to the Stephen Birch Aquarium yesterday, and they've got some pretty bad flatworm infestations in some of their tropical (w/reef inverts) tanks. In these systems there also appeared to be some well-established cyano blooms. I have to say that the Birch just doesn't compare with LBAOP (which may also explain why LBAOP costs twice as much).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: