• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Bloggins

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to try my hand at a non-photosynthectic bivalve, I already feed phytoplankton to my Tunicates, and I believe that such a food would also be apporpriate for the flame scallop.

However, I've encountered the notorius reputation of Flame scallops being incredibly fragile, and dying within a week. I thought the most common reason flame scallops die was because of starvation.

There is little to no presence of copper, or nitrites, and very low nitrates. Are there any pointers, or care req's that i missed about them?
Thanks

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Bloggins, welcome to reefs.org.

There is actually a dearth of information regarding long-term care of flamers, one problem, IIRC, is that we don't really know their average lifespan. We did have one poster who claimed to have had his for two years, and was target-feeding it. They do tend to last longer than a week for experienced keepers, but you've hit the nail on the head on both counts--feeding and water quality.

Have you done a general Google search?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: