jshorter

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an SPS/LPS tank that I am thinking about adding a clam to. I really would like to try a Maxima. The area I would like to put the clam is just to the right of center, and a maximum of 10 inches from the light. I have several different species of SPS (Acropora, Porites, Seriatopora, Montipora, & Hydnophora) that are growing very well in my tank, and have awesome coloration. What does anyone think about adding a clam? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks a bunch!
Jason

Here is a link to a picture of my tank (the area in question is at the same depth as the large purple Porites, and on the mirror opposite side):
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showphot ... thecat=500

jshorter

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just trying to get opinions at the moment. I have a 29 gallon tank lit by 4 - 75 watt VHOs (2 - 50/50, & 2 - Super Actinic). I measured the spot today, and it is exactly 10 inches from the light (from the lights to the rock) & almost dead center front to back, & side to side. I don't think I could put it in a brighter spot on my tank without moving it closer to the light.

jshorter

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it seems that everyone's opinions, through my readings, and replies on other bulletin boards, are that Maximas under VHO are a "no go." I find this difficult to understand since SPS corals are not supposed to do well under VHOs either, and I have some of the most colorful Acroporas, Seriatoporas, and Montiporas I have seen...even brighter and more colorful than when I got them from tanks grown under nothing but MH!! That and they are growing FAST! So, why am I supposedly not able to keep a Maxima under the same conditions?

Secondly, if I "can't" keep a Maxima, which species is more recommended...Derasa, or Squamosa? More importantly, which one is a slower grower so that I don't have this huge overgrown monster sitting at the top of my rockwork in 5 months?

Jason

AF Founder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jshorter":2od5g88e said:
Well, it seems that everyone's opinions, through my readings, and replies on other bulletin boards, are that Maximas under VHO are a "no go." I find this difficult to understand since SPS corals are not supposed to do well under VHOs either, and I have some of the most colorful Acroporas, Seriatoporas, and Montiporas I have seen...even brighter and more colorful than when I got them from tanks grown under nothing but MH!! That and they are growing FAST! So, why am I supposedly not able to keep a Maxima under the same conditions?

Secondly, if I "can't" keep a Maxima, which species is more recommended...Derasa, or Squamosa? More importantly, which one is a slower grower so that I don't have this huge overgrown monster sitting at the top of my rockwork in 5 months?

Jason
If I were you I would go with a T. Derasa. They are the hardiest, and maximas the hardest to keep. It is not a matter of lighting either.

Apophis924

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for it. If your SPS are doing well there is no reason your max clam cannot thrive. MH people will tell you it cant be done. PC users will say they have done it and vho users have done it. there is more to growing a calm than just lighting. water stability, supplemental feeding, and Color temp of light can make up for lighting other than metal halide. I run VHO and have a crocea clam and sps and i am sumpless and skimmerless. the "experts" say it cant be done.

daniel.br

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point is: Clams (Tridacnas) has much more zooxanthelae than sps corals....

You can even go well with your light setup keepin sps's but I don't think it will work with a tridacna...just a opinion...

Some can tell you they have succeed but....I think it's a unnecessary risk...

But anyway .... take your chances!!!

dasaphrota

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just curious if you tried the clam? If so how did it go? thinking of trying simililar corals as well as clams only under t5's instead of VHO's

guara

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats why I wanna get more experience about tridacna,I 've heard so many conflict about it....now I'm confusing ... :cry:

Rlumenator

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have compact fluor. and have had great sucess with the squamosa- He is HUGE, I bought him maybe 2 years ago or so- very small at the time. I was unsure if I could raise him without MH, but he is very happy. Keep us posted on what you get!

guara

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I think too.....next month I've to change the light.. :cry: $$$ Do you something about kind of light ...I'm not sure but brand is XM....is it a good brand???

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: