• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

davidharvey

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have been keeping a 29G. reef tank for about 6 weeks now. In the tank are the following residents:

A Bubble coral, A Hammer Coral, An Open Brain Coral (Pacific Rose), a couple of red Mushroom corals, A Green Star Polyp, a small mat of Yellow Zooanthids, and a large beautiful Coco Worm.

Fishes: One Filament Flasher Wrasse, One small black/white Clark's Anemone Fish, and One small Yellowheaded Jawfish.

I have had the Coco Worm about two weeks. At first the worm was almost always extended out of his tube, and would especially respond at feeding time; both to Phytoplankton and Zooplankton and to Mysis Shrimp and Frozen Brine Shrimp.

As time has gone on however, the Worm is hardly ever out of it's tube.
About a week ago, noticing that I had a number of Aiptasia's- I turned off all the pumps (as suggested by the staff at our LFS) and used a very small amount of "Joe's Juice" via a small syringe with a small gauge spinal needle directly at each Aiptasia. This had proven successful in the past; resulting in the death and dissapearance of the anemone and no damage of any kind to any of the corals or fish. I left the pumps off about 10 minutes then turned them back on.

This time though, in about 2 hours the Wrasse died suddenly after some pretty horrible convulsions. The fish was necropsied at the LFS and the Biologist agreed with me that the fish looked as though it had succumbed to sudden toxic exposure. The other inhabitants seemed fine and have continued to feed well, and swim about well. The corals extend their polyps well and their color is stunning.

But the Coco Worm does not seem well. Is is possible that somehow it was affected by the Joes' Juice? It does not extend out of its' tube at all now even when fed phytoplankton and Zooplankton.

My question is: 1. Do Coco's occasionally do this and just retreat to thier tubes and stay there for extended periods?

and 2. How do I actually tell if the poor thing has died? There is no ammonia rise in the tank- at least not yet.

Ideas? Answers? Suggestions?

Thanks so much.

Dave Harvey

AF Founder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a tough question because there are several variables, but as you suggested the worm was already starting to feed poorly, making me think that its condition was independant of the juice. I suspect it was starving slowly. Just because an animal -- especially filter feeders -- show a feeding response to provided food doesn't mean there's enough food or what it can actually utilize. It might need to feed more often, be given a different particle size, etc. to stay healthy. Many filter feeders display this unfortunate hehavior.

AF Founder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, go to our back issues and read Rob Toonen's columns. There you will find a wealth of material on problematic filter feeders

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: