Unarce

Advanced Reefer
...page 216 of Natural Reef Aquariums (Tullock).

Sorry I don't have a pic, as I could not find anything else like it online. Does anyone actually have a b/w like this (pinstriped)?

This particular one is slightly different than what you'd normally see pictured online. Instead of thick white lines, it's pinstriped, with a lot of white specks.

I know it's already difficult to find b/w maximas, but am wondering if I shouldn't get my hopes up of finding this other type.

A

Anonymous

I've seen them, very very rarely, when I was living out in LA. There was a very short time in the late '90s when it seemed like a fair number of black maximas (various patterns) were coming in, but to be honest I'm not sure if I've seen any since.

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Yeah, they seem to be harder to find than colored teardrops :( I heard a b/w sold recently on ebay for $800 8O

The specimens that I do see pictured online have the thick white bars. Do you recall seeing any pinstriped specimens in the late 90's?

Thanks again!

A

Anonymous

"Pinstripe" might be pushing it as a description, but I do recall ones with thinner bars then the usual thickbar pattern. But to be honest, when a black maxima turned up, I'd see it get listed as a black maxima, with no differentation of pattern mentioned.

Len

Advanced Reefer
NKT just got one. He's actually had three in his lifetime. He loves black maximas!

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Here's the type of b/w maxima I'd like to get.

Pic from page 216 of Natural Reef Aquariums:

pg216.jpg

A

Anonymous

Yup, that's Nicos. It was offered to me first for $500. I declined. I believe Nico got it for considerably cheaper b/c the seller really doesn't like me.

Peace,

Chip

A

Anonymous

Unarce":1bqt1mgf said:
Hey Chip! Who's Nico? Was he the one that bought the clam on ebay?

No, he bought it from Reefscience.

Nico = NKT.

Peace,

Chip

NKT

I love black max's. :) I've vowed to myself to keep a black max in every tank I set up for the rest of my life. haha...

First one i acquired was in 2001 or so... was a healthy 5" specimen from jeff's exotic fish in LA. Had it for 3 yrs until I had to move to New York.

large.jpg

Second one is from reefscience...this was about a 2.5"-3" specimen. Its death was a mystery. About a week after I introduced a larger 4-5" clam, it gaped and passed away.

original.jpg

My latest one is a small 1.5"er from Ultimate frags... if you ask him he may be able to get u another one. Rommel is an awesome dood :)

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Thanks, Nico! Beautiful clams. I hope that last one does well for you. It looks just like page 216!

I just talked to Rommel the other day. Actually went to high school with that guy. Guess he's really gotten into clams, as he's carrying them a whole lot more frequently than he used to.

I vow to get one, too :D

A

Anonymous

There was quite a few in the Bay Area recently Karl. I got a call to go pick mine up, but I've been far to busy :( I think I missed my chance, this time around :( I would have posted earlier/sooner, but since I just changed computeres, I had a heck of a time loggin in.

nice1bruva

Experienced Reefer
i got mine about three years ago and was told then to 'snap it up as they are rare in the trade in this country'
i took the advise of my and have never seen one in the UK since.
she's grown a fair bit since i first bought her and i currently about 5" long shell wise.
had a major scare with her a few weeks ago when she was closing up and this went on for about 6 days....i thought that was then end.
a torchlight search found her being attacked by loads of pyramid snails....
i the did a tank check the folowing day and noticed that my six line was missing...found crispy duck syle at the rear of the cabinet. judging by the crispyness i think the sixline had been there for more than a few days.
i have always had pyramid snails in my system and cant see them ever being totally irradicated.
do any other fish apart from sixlines eat these snails as i dont want to add another sixline due to their aggressive nature towards my mandarins and scooters?

here's a pic of my maxima all happy with the deresa....the maxima is now in th rockwork as she should be....i put her there to photograph!
there is also a pic from a while back when flatworms where ####ing me off!
:lol:

Attachments

• black maxima.jpg
    black maxima.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 5,623
  • blackclam.jpg
    blackclam.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 5,624
A

Anonymous

GreshamH":3kzm3kiq said:
god bless john digweeds ears!
Amen brother

And thank god Sasha had such a great sidekick/record boy who grew into his own :D

I agree. Anyone who needs trance, I've got about 5 gigs worth...some of it rare. :D

Peace,

Chip

A

Anonymous

Pys trance, I'll pass(unless it's slower blippy old Eat Static style), but progressive, sure :) Take it to email now :lol:

A

Anonymous

nice1bruva":23bpv044 said:
do any other fish apart from sixlines eat these snails as i dont want to add another sixline due to their aggressive nature towards my mandarins and scooters?

Fenner reports yellow wrasses, Halichoeres chrysys, to eat them. They are a more peaceful wrasse than a 6 line, but you have to have sand for them to sleep.

A

Anonymous

The thing I like is, it seems the snails are nocturnal, and the wrasses are durnal :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: