Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...page 216 of Natural Reef Aquariums (Tullock).

Sorry I don't have a pic, as I could not find anything else like it online. Does anyone actually have a b/w like this (pinstriped)?

This particular one is slightly different than what you'd normally see pictured online. Instead of thick white lines, it's pinstriped, with a lot of white specks.

I know it's already difficult to find b/w maximas, but am wondering if I shouldn't get my hopes up of finding this other type.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen them, very very rarely, when I was living out in LA. There was a very short time in the late '90s when it seemed like a fair number of black maximas (various patterns) were coming in, but to be honest I'm not sure if I've seen any since.

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, they seem to be harder to find than colored teardrops :( I heard a b/w sold recently on ebay for $800 8O

The specimens that I do see pictured online have the thick white bars. Do you recall seeing any pinstriped specimens in the late 90's?

Thanks again!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Pinstripe" might be pushing it as a description, but I do recall ones with thinner bars then the usual thickbar pattern. But to be honest, when a black maxima turned up, I'd see it get listed as a black maxima, with no differentation of pattern mentioned.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NKT just got one. He's actually had three in his lifetime. He loves black maximas!

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the type of b/w maxima I'd like to get.

Pic from page 216 of Natural Reef Aquariums:

pg216.jpg

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, that's Nicos. It was offered to me first for $500. I declined. I believe Nico got it for considerably cheaper b/c the seller really doesn't like me.

Peace,

Chip

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unarce":1bqt1mgf said:
Hey Chip! Who's Nico? Was he the one that bought the clam on ebay?

No, he bought it from Reefscience.

Nico = NKT.

Peace,

Chip

NKT

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I love black max's. :) I've vowed to myself to keep a black max in every tank I set up for the rest of my life. haha...

First one i acquired was in 2001 or so... was a healthy 5" specimen from jeff's exotic fish in LA. Had it for 3 yrs until I had to move to New York.

large.jpg

Second one is from reefscience...this was about a 2.5"-3" specimen. Its death was a mystery. About a week after I introduced a larger 4-5" clam, it gaped and passed away.

original.jpg

My latest one is a small 1.5"er from Ultimate frags... if you ask him he may be able to get u another one. Rommel is an awesome dood :)

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Nico! Beautiful clams. I hope that last one does well for you. It looks just like page 216!

I just talked to Rommel the other day. Actually went to high school with that guy. Guess he's really gotten into clams, as he's carrying them a whole lot more frequently than he used to.

I vow to get one, too :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was quite a few in the Bay Area recently Karl. I got a call to go pick mine up, but I've been far to busy :( I think I missed my chance, this time around :( I would have posted earlier/sooner, but since I just changed computeres, I had a heck of a time loggin in.

nice1bruva

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got mine about three years ago and was told then to 'snap it up as they are rare in the trade in this country'
i took the advise of my and have never seen one in the UK since.
she's grown a fair bit since i first bought her and i currently about 5" long shell wise.
had a major scare with her a few weeks ago when she was closing up and this went on for about 6 days....i thought that was then end.
a torchlight search found her being attacked by loads of pyramid snails....
i the did a tank check the folowing day and noticed that my six line was missing...found crispy duck syle at the rear of the cabinet. judging by the crispyness i think the sixline had been there for more than a few days.
i have always had pyramid snails in my system and cant see them ever being totally irradicated.
do any other fish apart from sixlines eat these snails as i dont want to add another sixline due to their aggressive nature towards my mandarins and scooters?

here's a pic of my maxima all happy with the deresa....the maxima is now in th rockwork as she should be....i put her there to photograph!
there is also a pic from a while back when flatworms where ####ing me off!
:lol:

Attachments

• black maxima.jpg
    black maxima.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 5,623
  • blackclam.jpg
    blackclam.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 5,624
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GreshamH":3kzm3kiq said:
god bless john digweeds ears!
Amen brother

And thank god Sasha had such a great sidekick/record boy who grew into his own :D

I agree. Anyone who needs trance, I've got about 5 gigs worth...some of it rare. :D

Peace,

Chip

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pys trance, I'll pass(unless it's slower blippy old Eat Static style), but progressive, sure :) Take it to email now :lol:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice1bruva":23bpv044 said:
do any other fish apart from sixlines eat these snails as i dont want to add another sixline due to their aggressive nature towards my mandarins and scooters?

Fenner reports yellow wrasses, Halichoeres chrysys, to eat them. They are a more peaceful wrasse than a 6 line, but you have to have sand for them to sleep.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing I like is, it seems the snails are nocturnal, and the wrasses are durnal :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: