Thales

Advanced Reefer
Staff member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please add why this sub-forum even needed. Was there an incident? I dont get the exclusivity of this sub-forum to feel special?

Sadly, LGBTQ+ reefers are not treated well, or accepted everywhere. There was an incident somewhere else the prompted the creation of this forum. This forum is not so much exclusive, as a place people don't have to hide who they are, so they can interact with other people that have similar stuff in common, just like any speciality sub forum
Is there Hey I am Straight in Reefing?
No, there is no need for such a forum. Straight people don't have threads deleted on reef forums because they talk about their husbands
Is there LGBTQ fish?

Maybe there is new genders in fish?

Why are we identifying fish as only male or female? Why dont they have a say?

I dont care what your preferences are but it is quite annoying to provide "special" sub-forums for what exactly?

This could be in a non-reef thread or in general reefing sub-forum instead of its own sub-forum and noone would go in bashing or questioning anything.
No one should come in bashing or anything anyway. If the subforum isn't for you, don't use it, just like any other subforum.

Thanks

Thales

Advanced Reefer
Staff member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd appreciate it if someone can create a basic set of rules and guides for tolerance. We can add it to the first sticky thread here.
How about we borrow the Rainbow Reefers description - “This group is for members of the LGBTQ community and Allies who are involved in the marine aquarium hobby. The purpose of the group is to connect with other like-minded hobbyists to share information about our interest in the hobby.”

Guidelines
1) Be kind
2) If a forum/thread doesn't apply to you, no need to comment in it

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Sadly, LGBTQ+ reefers are not treated well, or accepted everywhere. There was an incident somewhere else the prompted the creation of this forum. This forum is not so much exclusive, as a place people don't have to hide who they are, so they can interact with other people that have similar stuff in common, just like any speciality sub forum

No, there is no need for such a forum. Straight people don't have threads deleted on reef forums because they talk about their husbands

No one should come in bashing or anything anyway. If the subforum isn't for you, don't use it, just like any other subforum.

Thanks

I appreciate the info and what I was asking for.

So let me reiterate because "special" people have special needs. Referencing any "angry" posts. If you ever met me, I dont care for your skin, prefences etc. It's all about reefing.

However, PC America is a bunch of bullshii and hypocracy so I am sure it was in full return due to a Biden win.

Either way, welcome? You only been on here for how long and who cares what others think about you. Crazy how this and reefing would have collided (the incident).

Thales

Advanced Reefer
Staff member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the info and what I was asking for.

So let me reiterate because "special" people have special needs. Referencing any "angry" posts. If you ever met me, I dont care for your skin, prefences etc. It's all about reefing.
Great!
However, PC America is a bunch of bullshii and hypocracy so I am sure it was in full return due to a Biden win.
Nothing really PC about this, just giving some other reefers a voice and a place to feel welcome.
Either way, welcome? You only been on here for how long and who cares what others think about you. Crazy how this and reefing would have collided (the incident).
Thanks! I actually and ally and have been involved with reefs.com since it's inception. I'll be posting here a lot more from now on.

Thales

Advanced Reefer
Staff member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone is welcome as far as I’m concerned. I’m 100% fine with an LGBTQ+ sub forum. Reefers are reefers.

Was there really a thread deleted on another forum because someone was talking about their husband? FFS. It’s 2020. If anyone has more information I would appreciate a PM, just so that I know the forum in question.
That is oversimplified, but yes, FFS

Thales

Advanced Reefer
Staff member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
I am an Ally, but my personality tends to take stuff over, but this is your forum, not mine. I am here to help. I'll keep doing my thing for now, but please, if you want me to do something differently, let me know asap. My ears are always open. Thanks

bvega789

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
I want to say WELCOME to the new folks and to the seniors hello!
Its sad that we cant even have a world of peace in reefing!
Regardless of gender and sexuality this should be a place of zen about reefing about our passion towards this hobby. Its pathetic that hatred is spread even underwater!
reefers are reefers shouldnt matter if youre a woman or man, straight or lgbtq.
Some of you been on here for a longtime! Who cares what people think like he said above its 2020 bro go live in a box if you cant accept it
i love the movement but i feel like making these groups will make you seclude yourself From the rest of the site! As if yall would only have to talk and do business with only each other
In my eyes We are all family once we join on here!!
i couldnt be a prostitute reefer and want to buy a fish from a cop reefer who the heck cares.
We are all here together linked by our love and passion!

Thales

Advanced Reefer
Staff member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is what MR has come to? Getting political? Funny been in the forum for over a decade but with the current polical mess going on we really need to put this up? Haven’t seen one instance where this post is warranted except for what’s going on outside reefing. Sad.
It’s only political if you make it political. The creation of this forum was to welcome people that were unwelcome somewhere else. Seems like a good thing to me.
This forum is really no different from any of the regional forums or the scuba forum. Not from that region or don’t scuba? Don’t read those forums. nothing really to put up with that I can see.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
No, what it is doing is creating more division. Show me where in a post that this is warranted? Show me where anyone has been left out in this forum? What warranted a specific group for lgbtq in MR? This is polical. Been here a long time and sorry to say I’d rather be on IG or FB where no one cares in the groups what you are. Which is the way it should be. No need to label people and make their own forum for something we are all in together. Sad that I will no longer use this site only to sell my corals

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Imo if the problem wasn't here then don't bring it here. Wherever the original issue was, is where it should have been handled. As the op said...sometimes it needs to be said blatantly...your right, then say it to the original problem person.

Been on this forum for a long time and never once did and would never question a persons gender, race or sexual preference when it came to offering advice, buying or selling corals or any other dealings.

But I agree that up until the point this thread was started, any member on here that was part of the lgbtq community was only seen as a fellow reefer and that the creation of a separate group will only divide more than bring together. Unless your creating a specialized group for every walk of life then don't single any one out, otherwise your just politicizing this forum.

Last edited:

Thales

Advanced Reefer
Staff member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, what it is doing is creating more division. Show me where in a post that this is warranted? Show me where anyone has been left out in this forum? What warranted a specific group for lgbtq in MR? This is polical. Been here a long time and sorry to say I’d rather be on IG or FB where no one cares in the groups what you are. Which is the way it should be. No need to label people and make their own forum for something we are all in together. Sad that I will no longer use this site only to sell my corals
You are the one creating division. This forum isn’t for you - why do you care if it exists and makes some others feel welcome? I truly don’t get it.

Thales

Advanced Reefer
Staff member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo if the problem wasn't here then don't bring it here. Wherever the original issue was, is where it should have been handled. As the op said...sometimes it needs to be said blatantly...your right, then say it to the original problem person.

Been on this forum for a long time and never once did and would never question a persons gender, race or sexual preference when it came to offering advice, buying or selling corals or any other dealings.

But I agree that up until the point this thread was started, any member on here that was part of the lgbtq community was only seen as a fellow reefer and that the creation of a separate group will only divide more than bring together. Unless your creating a specialized group for every walk of life then don't single any one out, otherwise your just politicizing this forum.
I disagree and so does this management of this forum.
i really don’t see what the big deal is - if you don’t like this forum, don’t read it. The reactions from the people this forum was created for are thrilled - it is only other people that have a problem with it. Just scroll on by.
It is amazing to see people talking about how welcoming MR is being unwelcoming.
Maybe consider - “sorry you were having a shitty time elsewhere, welcome to MR and I look forward to you being part of the larger community”.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Your posts in This thread
And just like that you are stretching to fit a narrative that isn’t there. Again show me in all of MR where anyone was not included. Until then you are politicizing MR which the last I’ve looked was against the rules of the forum. And again all this is is dividing members and human beings. You’re not being progressive. And again I am a long time member who reads every single post and there is not one instance of anyone being left out. You’re saying there has been instances on the internet with a billion people using so that’s why you are bringing in a divisive sub forum here and it’s for one purpose, to be political. No one cares what you are, who you are. I feel like as a catholic i am attacked online everyday are you going to make a sub forum for me?

ichthyogeek

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to say WELCOME to the new folks and to the seniors hello!
Its sad that we cant even have a world of peace in reefing!
Regardless of gender and sexuality this should be a place of zen about reefing about our passion towards this hobby. Its pathetic that hatred is spread even underwater!
reefers are reefers shouldnt matter if youre a woman or man, straight or lgbtq.
Some of you been on here for a longtime! Who cares what people think like he said above its 2020 bro go live in a box if you cant accept it
i love the movement but i feel like making these groups will make you seclude yourself From the rest of the site! As if yall would only have to talk and do business with only each other
In my eyes We are all family once we join on here!!
i couldnt be a prostitute reefer and want to buy a fish from a cop reefer who the heck cares.
We are all here together linked by our love and passion!
Thanks for the welcome! I wanted to address the topic about queer reefers secluding ourselves in this forum (mostly because I saw this in a previous thread):

If y'all honestly think a reefer like me is going to just spend all of his time in a single subforum...you've got it hecka wrong. I'm fairly certain there's a quote about love and it being infinite, but I'll probably get it wrong. The gist is the same though. I'm going to be (almost) everywhere. If you wanna talk about fish breeding, so do I, and I'm going to post in the fish breeding forum. If you wanna talk about fish husbandry and general tank issues, then so do I, and I'm going to post in the relevant forums. That thread on scientific papers? Come to papa!!! I've got a repository of papers I want to share! If you want to talk about corals...well, I'm kinda fresh outta luck there, corals aren't really my thing? But I'll gladly bump the post up and ask any relevant questions! I'm not going to limit myself to this specific subforum. That would be plain silly.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: