Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Group, I recently acquired a 3yr old 180g tank and it came with a light fixture with 4 x 96w Actinic PC lights and 3 150w 10k HQI's. The lights need to be replaced but I wanted to get the groups thoughts on which lights to use. For the Actinic, i can just use std 420nm lights x 4 but I have really been struggling with going with 10k, 14k, 15k or 20k bulbs. The way it's been explained to me is that if I use the 15k HQI, the actinic is not necessary? my gut is to go with a 10k 150W HQI for the "white" light and the 4 x 96w Actinic to supplement? Can you let me know best proactive and how I should proceed. Thanks again!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, if possible you should try to see the various 150w MH bulbs 'in action' to get an idea of color...
I would rather go with the 'bluer' bulbs (~14-15k), so that you only need to turn on the 'extra' 384w PCs, when you want REAL blue, or only blue!

I would love to see the variuos bulbs in action, but none of the LFS's around here have that sort of display. Any thoughts on a good brand? also, it sounds like you are confirming that if you are using a 14k, 15k or 20k HQI's, the actinic's are not necessary for the life of the tank..but rather if I wanted some "extra" blue. If that's the case, i could just go with a 14k 150w bulbs and be done with that. Let me know. Thanks!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: