Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all and brand new here so be gentle...
120/gal mixed reef 1/2 and 1/2...
I am upgrading my lighting (I think) on my 72 inch and 23 1/3 inches high sps/lps aquarium. Currently it has 1 250 watt 20k halide in the center of the tank and 2 (6 ft) 160 watt t-12 actinic running on front and back. I have all of my sps right in the center and everything else from center to the sides. Hamilton Cebu Sun Lighting System - 72 Inch 3 x 175 Watt 20,000K Metal Halide and 4 x 80 Watt T5 HO Actinics This is the light I want and would like some feedback on whether or not this light would be ok for the sps if they were positioned at the top of the tank about 6 or so inches from the top of the water and the light is mounted 6 inches from the surface. Right now with the set up I have my temp runs around 80 (night) to 82 F (day) and only have fans on my sump to cool.
Thanks for any advice I can get.

PS; site appears to be awesome too...

Jerry S.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
really?

72 people have viewed my question and not one recommendation... I was hoping someone bought this light with a similar setup like mine but I just didn?t want to spend the money without a little help.

Jerry S.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It is 72Lx18Wx23 1/2 deep. I thought about another 250 and it would be much cheaper but I don't want to run a chiller. It already runs 82F but I could install fans in the canopy and also it is getting very hard to find the T-12's 160 watt actinic, I've been on the waiting list for Marine depot and Drs Foster and Smith. First it was 09-01 then 09-15 and now 10-25 before they think they'll be in. Love the vho's but.... thanks for the reply albano.

drej424

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I have a 150 mixed reef. The tank is 30" deep. I have 2 250 watt MH and a 400 watt. I can keep sps with good color and growth at least as deep as mid-tank. But that Hamilton fixture sounds really nice!

My lights are hung more than 6" above the water. I'm cautious about halides getting wet and exploding.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: