BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
I cant seem to get my acans to grow. at night the tentacles come out but ever since i bought them and its been months, they look sunken in. I see everyones acans are all plump and inflated, but mine arent. They bud new heads but it always looks deflated.

I have them low in my tank right now because i was worried about them bleaching out mid level. I had them mid level and they looked a little pale.

Suggestions? Maybe im putting it in an area that is getting too much flow?

Rating - 100%
180   0   0
Everything above, spot feeding will help, I would also put them lower in the tank as acans usually do better under low lighting, and be very cautious with the dwarf flame because they usually have a taste for acans. Some pictures might help to be able to tell if its getting bitten or dying off.
Also is there anything near it like a torch or a frogspawn? they could reach further than you think and sting the acans.

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I found my Acan puffs up more under less direct light and with regular feeding of something meaty. It slurps in mysis, roggers reef, belnds etc. I try to feed twice a week - ish and get the food right on the polyps till they grab on.

I've also red that the "with caution" bit about the reef compatibility of Dwarf Flame Angels is in regards to LPS corals. I was about to get a Flame, but did a little more reading. They seem to not like nipping at SPS, but meaty LPS like hammers and such...those can be at risk. Or so the internet says. Take that with a grain, every fish is different.

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
i dunno, i have the most harmless flame angel. i have the food flakes on a auto feeder 4 times a day and my fish are fat and plump and dont bother my coral. I have a torch, frogspawn, hammer. they are all always fully extended until night time.

Its just favias, and acans. I don't luck with. Too much light maybe. I have them at the bottom but not in a shaded area.

im going to spot feed them more regularly. but my damn cleaner shrimp shows right up and steals all the food

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
im going to spot feed them more regularly. but my damn cleaner shrimp shows right up and steals all the food

I have the same problem with my cleaner shrimp and occasionally my kole tang. I guess I should feed her more. :eat: The worst offender though is the nassarius snails. I love that they devour the food that gets on the sand and all over the place, but when i shove food in my acan or plate's mouth, they creep over like zombies. I've taken to keeping my baster thing in the water right after i drop the food and knock the snails away if they start to climb up the Acan before it has time to suck it in.

They seem to be less apt to do that with my plate, which I attribute to the plate being scary looking. LOL I call it the Sarlacc. You know, from Return of the Jedi.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sarlacc
:DarthVade

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
I have the same problem with my cleaner shrimp and occasionally my kole tang. I guess I should feed her more. :eat: The worst offender though is the nassarius snails. I love that they devour the food that gets on the sand and all over the place, but when i shove food in my acan or plate's mouth, they creep over like zombies. I've taken to keeping my baster thing in the water right after i drop the food and knock the snails away if they start to climb up the Acan before it has time to suck it in.

They seem to be less apt to do that with my plate, which I attribute to the plate being scary looking. LOL I call it the Sarlacc. You know, from Return of the Jedi.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sarlacc
:DarthVade

hahah sarlacc, that would be cool if something would come out and grab food like that. my shrimps will steal the food right out of my Anemone, my plate, my chalices. Im starting to really hate them. They don't clean my fish and just steal food from every coral. sometimes they even swim straight up and grab the entire solid piece when i drop a chunk of rods.

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
In my case I found that feeding makes them grow new heads quicker. You want them to open up more and that sounds like it is more of a lighting issue. How old are your bulbs. Check out your particular bulbs as to when they need replacing. Also how far are they from the light. Acans do not need strong light but lighting does make a difference.

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
In my case I found that feeding makes them grow new heads quicker. You want them to open up more and that sounds like it is more of a lighting issue. How old are your bulbs. Check out your particular bulbs as to when they need replacing. Also how far are they from the light. Acans do not need strong light but lighting does make a difference.

I have ati bulbs. I've had them for about 6 months. its on the sand bed. i cant bring em any lower. thinking of hiding them under my frag rack.

could the high flow be a factor?

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
My guess is they need more light. I would move them up slowly. Take one and move it up 4 inches and another 8 inches and see how they react.
How far is it from the bottom of the tank till the light bulbs.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: