A

Anonymous

I'm going to attempt to frag my large torch and octopus corals tonight. I've got the garden shears and am ready to go, but was wondering the following :

1. I have enough room to frag them right in the main tank. I don't *need* to take them outt, right?

2. How far do the polyps extend into the branch of the coral? I don't want to be cutting polyps. I'll be trying to cut as close to the base as possible, but need to know anyway.

3. Can these be cleanly cut, or will they splinter at all?

Thanks in advance...

Peace,

Chip

scooterr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I have enough room to frag them right in the main tank. I don't *need* to take them outt, right?
you don't *need* to.

2. How far do the polyps extend into the branch of the coral? I don't want to be cutting polyps.
You can see on the outside where the flesh stops. THe skeleton is safe to cut but I stay away from the flesh.

3. Can these be cleanly cut, or will they splinter at all?
both. The can be cut cleanly. They usually won't splinter too much. I've heard of them splintering all the way up the polyp but never experinced it. A dremel tool is supposed to prevent the splintering.
HTH

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most helpful information. I now feel confident enough to give it a try, and will of course document my proceedings with some good pics.

Thanks!

Peace,

Chip

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't done it yet...am still at work and will be until 4pm EST. Then I'll go home and try it out...will post pictures when I'm done...

Peace,

Chip

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: