Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't fed any of my LPS for years now, but was thinking about doing it again. Anyone feeding their corals? If so, how much, how frequently, and what corals?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my bubble coral a chunk of raw fish about twice a month.

I really intend to do it more than that, but it eats best at night and I forget.

jorcutt

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't do it as much anymore (lazy) but that used to be the only way I fed my tank. I just used a mixture of frozen foods (nothing larger than mysis) heavily soaked in Selcon (highly recommended). I'd load up a syringe and use it to feed anything and everything that would take it. I was able to nurse back a lot of dying LPS from work this way. Especially things like favias since you can target feed each mouth.

mountainbiker619

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i feed everything in my tank Marc Weiss Combo Vital, Marc Weiss Coral-Vital and Reef Vital DNA. I just started using these items 2 days ago, so I can not give you any feed-back. These are the products that my LFS (Aquatic Warehouse) uses in their reef display tanks.

Modo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had a Trachyphilia (sp.) Brain and a Bubble I fed them both small chunks of shrimp, silversides and would sometimes use a turkey baster and blow mysis or brine onto the feeders. They were very healthy up until I gave them away a couple of months ago.

Mine would always go into "Feeding Mode" and put out their feeding tenticles when I would feed the fish. But, I usually did this right before lights out.

Oh yeah, I did this anywhere from twice to every other week depending on what I had in the freezer in the way of fish food.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't spot feed my lps, never did. I do however, dump frozen food in the tank above them in hopes that they get some of it before the fish do. Seems to work out well.

Louey

Cabreradavid

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I directly syringe feed all of my LPS about once a week or so. This includes candy cane, torch, bubble, and plate. I use fine chopped shrimp from the grocery store, brine shrimp/frozen marine fish food soaked in DT's or Kent phytoplex. The feeding seems to help them grow more quickly (compared to when I did not feed them). This is most noticible with the torch and candy cane corals.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried spot-feeding my frogspawn when it was new, and it never seemed to really ingest any of it. I haven't fed it for months now and it is growing pretty rapidly. There are a lot of snacks in the water column so I guess that is plenty to sustain it.

ryan_lalande

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
b ionic..andsilver sides are really good...because they are a marine fish..so its more natural.....try live baby brine...

monkeyboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my fungia periodically with a chunk of some meaty seafood, then get to sit there for 20 minutes scaring away the centropyge so the poor thing can eat!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been target feeding my bubble and what's left of my candycane. (I lost all but three heads of the candycane last year in a heatwave.) Now I have 4 or 5 heads growing very slowly. I target feed with a turkey baster.

I feed a little of my home-made food:
Whatever seafood is on sale, last time it was shrimp, mussles, and whitefish. Plus a piece of nori, (from the sushi counter), a bunch of Formula 1 flake, and a big squirt of marine snow. (I know, I know. next time it's selcon and golden pearls!)

The corals love it. They suck in whatever I place by their mouth's. Then the next day they are all big and puffy! My shrooms and ricordia love it as well.

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spot feed my 2 trachyphyllias, my plerogyra? - pearl , at the same time I feed my anemones - once to twice a week (anemones in seaprate tank). I give them very small pieces of mussel, shrimp or fish and usually add some selcon if it's lying around. Feeding the brains is kind of a chore as you have to do it usually after lights out so the fish won't gank his food so I sist there and wait till he's got it in his mouth. Also I use small small pieces, larger pieces may get swallowed but inevitably get regurgitated only partly digested!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
once a week, or bi-weekly, w/some pieces of chopped clam, placed directly on the polyps-just a few small pieces

mountainbiker619 wrote:

i feed everything in my tank Marc Weiss Combo Vital, Marc Weiss Coral-Vital and Reef Vital DNA. I just started using these items 2 days ago, so I can not give you any feed-back. These are the products that my LFS (Aquatic Warehouse) uses in their reef display tanks.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

our suppliers just stopped carrying all of his products-guess they have some brains, after all

that junk is a great way to waste your money, and pollute your tank with useless liquid junk-may as well spit and whizz into your tank- that'll also give you 'bio active enzymes'[/quote]

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Careful, Vitz, or Marc will sue you! :)

I target feed brine, mysis, and plankton with a turkey baster, once a day.

Peace,

Chip

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my saliva contains 'bio-active enzymes, and catalysts' :lol: :wink:

:P

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: