omegatron

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I would like to take a moment to welcome all members and prespective members to our new forum. We will be having alot of exciting news in the near future as we strive to obtain some goals that we have discussed. In an effort to keep everyone informed we have decided to keep everyone abreast of developments. Our first meeting of the new year was exhilarating and well attended. Below are a list of goals we will be working on this year. This list will be added to as we move forward.

MASNA Goals Statement 2002-2003 Session

In order to further MASNA’s charter of promoting the saltwater aquarium hobby by: educating hobbyists; promoting the ethical treatment and collection of marine animals; and helping with the formation and advancement of local clubs; the 2002-2003 MASNA Board of Directors have set the following goals:

1) Improve Communications with Membership
• Contact membership on a routine basis via electronic and conventional mail
• Contact former membership to determine reasons for non renewal and take steps to eliminate obstacles.
• Resume hardcopy mailing of the quarterly “Marine Scene” newsletter.
• Encourage increased attendance of membership at monthly online meetings
• Reestablish the club newsletter exchange program
• Clearly convey that the MASNA Board of Directors in conjunction with its Members serve as a forum for the evaluation and selection of MACNA host clubs ; beyond the initial selection process MASNA will act only in a supportive assisting role.
• Clearly convey that MASNA officials shall at no time derive any direct income due to their office

2) Improve Hobbywide Presence/Increase Membership
• Continue involvement with the Marine Aquarium Council (MAC); the U.S. Coral Reef Task Force (USCRTF; and the American Marinelife Dealers Association (AMDA) in order to convey key issues to hobbyists and cooperate in hobbyist education programs when feasible.
• Establish open forums on the internet bulletin boards and conduct online open chat forum discussions.
• Foster an increase in MASNA membership by obtaining a higher public profile resulting in increased requests for information on club formation and membership

3) Establish Program Funding without MACNA revenues
• Pursue a corporate sponsorship program to reach our goal of establishing scholarship awards for future educators in the hobby.
• Start an individual, donation based, fundraising program

4) Establish/Further Establish Educational Programs
• Further establish an independently administered scholarship program
• Establish a MASNA underwritten speaker program to assist local clubs in funding guest lecturers.
• Provide Special Consultation Services for Club Special Events.
• Call Special Meeting of all members to propose and vote on Amendment to By-Laws giving member clubs two delegates thereby two votes at Annual Meeting
• Revert back to publishing names of Nominees 30 days prior to Annual Meeting and Elections

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Chuck,
I noticed that one of MASNA's goals is:
Continue involvement with the Marine Aquarium Council (MAC);
-In The Industry forum here on Reefs.org we have had some lengthy discussions in regards to MAC, however I don't recall seeing any input from MASNA on this subject. Will there be any participation from MASNA in these discussions in the future?
Steve

omegatron

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPC":sm7337uu said:
Hi Chuck,
I noticed that one of MASNA's goals is:
Continue involvement with the Marine Aquarium Council (MAC);
-In The Industry forum here on Reefs.org we have had some lengthy discussions in regards to MAC, however I don't recall seeing any input from MASNA on this subject. Will there be any participation from MASNA in these discussions in the future?
Steve

Hi Steve,

That would not be out of the question. If we see a thread where our input is needed or made aware of then we will give it. The problem with boards like this and I know first hand since I run one is that you do not always read every thread or go to every last message board. We have multiple people running through the boards checking our forums here and over at Reefcentral. Any thread in our forums will be responded too rapidly. I can not guarantee though that a thread somewhere else on any site would be responded to unless someone is made aware of it or happens to see the thread. I will try and check out the industry forum when I stop in to check this site. I can tell you we have a good team this year. I was out to dinner and came back and had an email in my box that there was a reply to my thread here. This was from a fellow board member. So there are like I stated several of us trying to stay on top of these sites. John Brandt who is our MAC/USCRTF Representative is very knowledgable. He is also a board member of the Marine Aquarium Council.
I am sure there will be many discussions in the future that we will be involved in. Another goals as you see if that we are taking a more front line approach and will be much more involved and alot more vocal making sure the hobbyist has a say in what happens in the legislation. We will be planning to hold several chats here at Reefs.org with various organizations like the USCRTF and MAC. I am sure with people like you who are genuinely interesting in these things that the upcoming chats will be a huge success.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: