• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jgraz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Well i have a nice 5 day weekend so I started the sump today and ran into a bit of an issue. After my so called careful planning and my awful measuring I just noticed that I will not be able to fit a fliter sock in the skimmer area. Here is the sump as of right now only 1 more piece of glass to place.
f4434838.jpg
and top view
c12b97ac.jpg

Do I really need one? I was thinking about placing the skimmer in the middle section and killing the fuge altogether. There is not much space in there to begin with and I was only gonna do LR anyway. Should I put the LR and a sock in the first section and skimmer in middle? What do you guys think?

jgraz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
First baffle is 9 3/8. I went with what you said your skimmer was stable at, plus i saw another thread where they had same level. here is anew pic the baffles are as flollows from left to right. 9 3/8, 9 3/8, 8 3/8, 7 3/8.
67f4a9b2.jpg

Also got a couple of questions. I went to clean the skimmer and give it a run with water and noticed that when i set water level to "off" it is actually at max height in skimmer, and when set to "max" the level is at the lowest height. Is that normal? Also how do you plug the drain hol in the cup. I did get a plug at the end of a long tube, should I just cut the tube shorter? I feel like an idiot just asking that.

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
looks real good, I don't run that skimmer. and yes that is the way the skimmer works, once set up and running you have to adjust for skimmage, wet or dry that is up to you.
not sure about the tube, but that tube sounds like its your air intake to the pump to produce the micro bubbles.

jgraz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
AHHH thought you ran one. Anyway it called for 8-10" of water, so I should be solid. Thanks for everything.
Also made some more progress today. 20H is drilled and ready.
5f9944d2.jpg

Next up: plumbing. This should be interesting. I have never plumbed anything.

MOD's, any chance this can be moved under the "Tank Thread" topic since this has pretty much turned into a build thread? Also can I change title? If not i'll just start a new one.

jgraz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I was looking at that pic for about 30 min wondering what I forgot when I realized that I for got to paint the back so here it is ready for plumbing.
2445fd08.jpg

jgraz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Could someone please confirm this for me. Everything is dry fitted. But want to make sure it looks good before I glue.
6e29fda4.jpg

dca21b10.jpg

51eba7e7.jpg

Thanks in advance for the help
John

jgraz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Well the plumbing is done. Hopefully, I get some pics up soon. Made a few changes from suggestions in the "plumbing assist" threat I had. We will see how it goes. The can of glue for the PVC says 2 hr curing time. Does that mean I can add water after that?
Also on a side note, the nem that I bought from Xavier a few weeks ago split. I now have 2 GBTA, one is about 1" the other 1.5" I did not know they would split that small. Anyway I get some pics ASAP.

jgraz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Here we go filling with water. Hopefully everything is tight. At the rate my system makes RODI it could be a long time.
Couple of pics
d66c6361.jpg

88723536.jpg

Thanks for looking
John

jgraz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Well here we go. Filled and leak checked. Everything good.
d4cbd991.jpg

Gonna work on scape tomorrow then salt and seeded sand/rock.
Got some ideas to run by you guys about what to do in the fuge. I have a pretty small area to use and was wondering what way to go. The area is only 7"x7.5"x9.5". I was thinking to do one of the following.
1st) DSB only. How deep?
2nd) Macro only
3rd) use the area for reactors. GFO/GAC. Or Bio-Pellets?
Any thoughts?
Anyway thanks for looking.
John

jgraz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Well cycle underway. I added some live rock and the filter pad from my frag tank and the sand im using is also from my frag tank. Only going with a thin covering for the substrate. basically just enough to cover. So much for all that rock work I did eariler, as soon as I took it apart I could not figure it out again, even with pics. Anyway this is what me and my wife came up with. Lots of place to put things.
7168e2b0.jpg

Question: Since im using well seeded items from my other tank should I still add an ammonia source?
Well tanks for looking.
John

jgraz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Well its been a bit since I updated, so here we go. The tank is up and going. Mostly stocked, though I may get 2 more fish not sure what though one will be a clown to replace the one I lost. The other is up for debate, so im taking any and all suggestions, so fire away. Anyway the inhabitants are a Snocasso, Yellow Clown Goby, Blood Shrimp, Sexy Shrimp, and the usual CUC. I added a couple of Snocasso's a couple of weeks ago and right away one was not doing so well. He hung in there for about a week or so, then gone. Not sure what was happening. I saw him eat and he seemed very happy at the store, but I guess these things happen. So im on the hunt for a mate for my other one. Coral has been getting added often. I need more(please someone have a sale). Sump is running good, though I need to find a way to keep stray cheato out of the display. Skimmer is awesome. I just added a CPR Nano Reactor that I am running a bag of Chemi-Pure in, but I may just change that to GFO/GAC when needed. I was also tinkering with the idea of running pellets in it, but I may not be able to get output to the skimmer and have read that, that is a must. Anyway enough rambling. Here are the pics. Thanks for looking
Also don't forget the ideas for my last inhabitant
MOD'S can I change the name of thread since this has pretty much become my build?
fabbeb11.jpg

edcf8dc3.jpg

19dc56ff.jpg

4157a682.jpg

1533b649.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: