• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

chasesng

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
i've got an 11 gal Cadlights AIO that im thinking about setting up. I bought it used and it came with one of those little oceanic nano skimmers that have suction cups and use wood bubblers. Like the tank but not the skimmer. Those little skimmers are so fussy about water level and difficult to get at.

So im trying to figure out the best way to skim this kind of tank. I tested my remora on the back and it fits. The pump would even hang in the first chamber and the return would drain into the second chamber. Its just really big and rather overkill for an 11 gal tank.

Anybody got any clever ideas on how to skim a nano? Or is it even worth it?

I'm talking about a reef tank. Some LR, couple fish, and a basic coral/zoa or two.

Thanks....Steve

jcs11236

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
i think it all depends on the "couple" of fish you plan on keeping--the more fish--the more waste. i believe you will be fine without one if you keep 1-2 fish. weekly water changes should be enough. jus my own opinion. some on here run skimmers and some dont on nanos

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't bother with the skimmer. I have a 14G biocube up and running for 18months and all I do is weekly water changes (20%) and all is good. I have chaeto in my back chamber (#2) along with chemipure elite which I change every 2 months. Also, less is more in terms of fish. 2 tops in that tank! I have a picasso clown and a blue spot goby.

chasesng

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I've heard some argue that chaeto is just a detritus trap and you cant really have enough to make a difference. I've heard of chemipure but not famliar with how you'd used it. Throw some in a mesh bag? Throw bag in first chamber. Throw chaeto in second chamber? The aquaticlife skimmer would fit but is still so small that i feel like its not worth the effort.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: