• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

B1N4RY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
A Surprise from My Wife.

So my wife frequents an online garage sale to find little deals and steals in the neighborhood. So a person was moving and didn't want to break down and sell their Oceanic Biocube 12 gallon along with some live rock for free. She didn't know the condition of the aquarium but it was free so why not check it out. As expected with most free items that aquarium was in really bad shape. The top rim looks like it may have come apart at some point during a move and was patched back together with large amounts of aquarium safe silicon but covering most of the upper part of the glass. Also the lights were completely rusted away from the saltwater and it looked as if the aquarium was never cleaned when water from common aquarium tasks had spilled over. But with a little time and patience I think I whipped this aquarium back into shape.

They had included some live rock, around 7 lbs. and I had another 7 lbs. of Premium Fiji Live rock on the way that I ordered from Premium Aquatics. Combined I managed to make a pretty nice aquascaping with plenty of caves and hiding spots. I also added an additional 5 lbs. of Caribsea Arag-Alive Live Sand. As for additional filtration I purchased an Innovative Marine Aqua Gadget Desktop Protein Skimmer which just managed to fit (width wise) into the first compartment of the rear chamber. I'm allowing it to break in further before I do some fine tuning to get the darker skimmate that we all know and love.

And with the doctors orders for me not to drive or lift anything my sweet wife played Mr. Daisy's driver for the past few days and lifting everything out of the car and wherever I needed it. So this tank was pretty much made possible by her. I can't say I love her enough.

B1N4RY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Reply to Duromega.

wow! let me tell you the aquascape looks 1000% better than the coral insert you had before!

so this one is not the 8G anymore is a 12G and your wife got it for you?

Thank you. Yes its a 12 gallon currently which I am happier with and my wife drove all around Westchester County getting everything that I needed and getting my packages from UPS.

B1N4RY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Picking Up My New Kessil a150w Ocean Blue LED Pendant Light.

So I'm very excited this morning. My wife has been pretty good with my recent onslaught of purchased for the aquarium. Basically the lovely woman gave me the go ahead to purchase whatever I needed to make me happ.... I mean keep my beautiful aquarium in running order.
biggrin.png
So this morning I get to pick up my Kessil a150w Ocean Blue LED Pendant Light from the post office since I wasn't home Saturday to receive it. Then it's off to Home Depot to get the necessary supplies for shelves that my wife has been begging me to put up in the kitchen and now I have a reason as well to do it since I'm going to hang the pendant off the bottom of one of the shelves. I was originally going to purchase the Kessil a350w Tuna Blue LED Pendant Light. But after speaking to Kessil it was obvious that I would be wasting a bit of money since I would have to ramp down the intensity of the light anyway to fit my needs. I'm so freaking excited I could just bust one of my stiches!

B1N4RY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Setting Up My New Kessil a150w Ocean Blue LED Pendant.

So after waiting the entire weekend I received my Kessil a150w Ocean Blue LED Pendant for my aquarium and being extremely excited I decided to go against the doctors orders and take a little trip to Home Depot for some supplies (my wife drove me as I am still not allowed to drive from the surgery). The aquarium is located in my dinning room and I just thought to myself for a while now that the wall located directly behind it was quite ugly and missing something. So after a few a few minutes of chatting with my wife we managed to come up with something that I am quite happy of and were able to setup the Kessil while not look like an eyesore.

B1N4RY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
First Thoughts On My New Kessil a150w Ocean Blue LED Pendant.

First off I have to say that I am definitely impressed with the small form factor of this light and the silent operation. It is quite honestly one of the most beautiful pieces of equipment I have seen. The shimmering affect is amazing! But this is just my personal opinion that the 15,000K Ocean Blue is just too blue for my taste. I would have definitely preferred something along the 10,00K Sky Blue unit. Another issue I am having with it is that I'm having some light bleed off the aquarium being mostly that it is a wide angle version. I can remedy this is one of two ways. I can lower the light which would bring it close to the water as well as increase the intensity which gives me concerns in both aspects or I can purchase the standard angle or place a sleeve over the unit to keep the light from bleeding. However, the color temperature is definitely wigging me out and I am exchanging it for either the a150w Sky Blue or the a360w Tuna Blue unit.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: