LA-Lawman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is>

A 20g Sea Clear.. W/ a rear filtraion separation... Bio Balls removed and 7lbs of LR added.

15 lbs of Live rock and 40lbs of sand. 20lbs of Aragamax select and 20lbs of carib-sea live sand. ultra fine... (looks like SD)

one 65w CSL smart-Lite... the tank potion is about 10-13 gallons....

tank setup on 04/04/03 at approx 1620hrs.

pics taken at 2145hrs

DSCN1023.JPG

DSCN1026.JPG

DSCN1025.JPG

I do not plan on running a skimmer. but might if needed....

let me know what you think. If i am overlooking something or not....

wombat1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks cool to me...the only thing I might suggest is a powerhead on the left side. You could plumb it from the back part. Keep us updated!

LA-Lawman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gots an idea.. I wanted to run it across u guys first.

here is a pict of the return portion of the system

rearfilter_return.jpg

it is using a rio 600.. Can i swap it for a maxijet 1200. I think the slots in the other side will handle the extra 100gph..

let me know

Enzo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for it!!! Hell, Why not go with a mag 5. If the overflows can't handle a mag 5 than just cut slots into the overflow.

LA-Lawman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the MJ in there..... a Pain in the asssss!

but the flow in there is awesome.... amazing what another 100gph will do to a small tank....

wombat1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your flow is probably sufficient as is. However, it seems like all your flow is coming from one direction. Your corals might like an alternating flow from both sides directed at them. Just my 2 cents..

LA-Lawman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking the same thing....

I picked up a could of minijets frm a LFS that had them on clearance.. a 606 and a 404...

they are transitioning to the ViaAqua and Rio Hyperflow pumps....

I got both of them for a total of $20... I am going to have to play with my dremel to get them in and hide the cords.......

i will keep ya posted

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawman that is the best part of a brand-new setup, the sandbed looks amazing with the way it rolls and dips in the display. It appears very deep--Ive noticed in time my dsb is dwindling because it gets vaccuumed out slowly over time. Be sure to keep yours in there it looks great! Again on that size tank Id say skimming is optional, there is enough dilution and surface area to internally process a light fish bioload with no trouble. If that was my nano id get one of the tiny remote-controlled submarines to drive around in it :) just an idea

LA-Lawman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi brandon... thanks for the props.... I was doing some reading on the past dsb threads prior to setting it up.

I have a dsb in my 90g 0 nitrates for about 6months now..... :D

I am interested to see if it works.. i put the course aragonite on the bottom. hoping to pack the substrate wll to prevent respiration by algae....

any other thougts.... I have used two live sand formulas that have worked for me... The Natures Ocean... and Carib Sea (extra fine .. southdown or maybe oolite consistancy)

http://www.naturesocean.com or http://www.carib-sea.com

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: