• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Is it just me but i perfer the nano setup over the larger setups...It seems neater with a nano than a larger setup...I have nothing against the larger setups..ive seen really awesome ones but my wife sees a large reef she calls me over to see it...Im like OK, whatever..then i see a nano and im like damn thats nice...One day i plan on keeping a larger show set up in a living room or sumzing but these nanos really intrigue me..Am i the only one that is gay like this or what...

P.S. i dont mean gay is in like homosexual or anything...So please no hate posts on that comment..

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am the same way. For me it was the love of corals but cost restrictions that prevented me from getting to observe them in captivity. Nanos are the perfect answer to that. I also loved how only the nano keepers know it's really not all that hard... other people and even those closely affiliated with biology or chemistry at the academic levels seem to balk at the idea of a five gallon reef---so it's fun to drop their jaws!

I also love how nanos teach you the true workings of the captive reef on a faster scale--makes it easier to understand the fundamental concepts of reef biology because it doesn't take very long to see how substance or design X will affect variable Y, if you catch my drift. Yes Sir nanos do rule the roost in my opinion!

hillbilly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on a 15gal. sps tank myself. It's the smallest reef tank I've ever attempted. For some reason I'm more excited about this tank than I was about setting up my 200gal. There is something special about nano reefing.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a 10gal and went to a twenty but i, at this point in time, dont want to go larger..if anything im thinking smaller now! I heard it was too hard to keep things in a ten so i "upgraded" for a lack of a better word.. Needless to say i wasnt introduced to this site when i "upgraded"...my tank is SLIGHTLY overstocked (shhhh! :D) but thats the beauty IMO, most people chastise me for it but how am to complain since things are thriving in there...honestly i wouldnt overstock again if it were up to me..At least i know there is a small band of brothers in the Nano community!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nanos are great for a lot of reasons. I've been fairly obsessed with them in the past, doing FW planted nanos. I used to do things like brandon where I would try to architect it in such a way that when you photographed it, the appearance was of a very large tank. I even photoshopped carpet in under my 2.5g once, to scale of a 55g. Hehe! There's something neat about a little scene of glossostigma elatinoides and riccia fluitans in a (FW) nano that's visually appealing (in other words; fly). Same applies for nano reefs.

Another appeal is that they are more practical in my apartment/living situation. If I get a house, I'm totally going to make one of those super reefs in the wall, but for now ... I will hone my skill at working in a small space. When I'm *really* good at it, and then I have a house and can make my ocean in the wall, think of how well I will be able to utilize that space. Of course, one of my ideas is to keep A LOT of open sand in a huge aquarium and like, dump a whole crapload of LR in an area, like a stony mountain rising out of the underwater desert sands. Or maybe the rocky outcropping would have more of a "lonely tree" look to it. You know, how like many farm fields have the lonely tree ... all out in the back, surrounded by fields of wheat and soy or whatever ... the tree being a refuge for birds and other animals crossing the fields, it begins to look like an animal city. Wow, I digress ... but that's the vision I have of my ultimate reef.

Yet another thing I appreciate about a nano is that it's a more focused presentation of art. A very narrow project, you know? It's like writing a short story versus some big life's work. It's not an opus, it's a fun jaunt that you can learn from and then move on (change is at the heart of who we are).

Also, I guess I just like little miniature things. I used to do model airplanes and spend hours painting a 1cm tall plastic dude with the tip of a pin. and i had model trains and stuff like that.

Something about many small shapes giving a volumous appearance in a small space really appeals to me. The multitudes of little leaves / lobes/ whatever really has quite a nice effect in nature. Not only is REPETITION one of the 8 basics of all design, but nature has a really neat way of doing things. Ever notice how naturally occuring organics follow their pattern, but appear completely random at the same time? Think of a field of trees. They all look different, all are unique, all are individuals. But they are all the same. They all branch the same way, follow the same pattern, have trunks at the bottom and midway up start branching. Even further: plants of the same species have the same leaf distribution pattern. Leaves of 3, 4, 5 ... spirally, opposing, ladder arranged on the stem... it's a great thing that at once enforces the unity of a group while preserving the uniqueness of every individual element within.

Visual trickery and subliminal perception / visual manipulation are other interests of mine ... and it definitely applies to aquascaping. I could really go off about it forever, so I guess I should stop now. Here's my mantra for all things design, modified for reefy purposes:

It's not about what's actually in the tank, it's about what people see.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and ps, nano-reef.com is a fine site. many users who post here also post there.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right ive been to nano-reef.com..i like although im not a member...this site keeps me pretty well occupied...I would also have a super reef if i owned a home..i never said i wouldnt own a larger reef..but the nano is where the heart is...i could have a large reef in the living room for all to see. a nano in my bedroom or where ever would have my special attention..I dont know why but im fascinated with the close quaters of a nano!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reef's I've set up are a 15, and a 7gal that turned into a 10gal. (damn tank faries) When I move, I'm going to set up one big tank. I figure I've got enough stuff to set up one kick ass 75 gallon or so. I might hate myself and go back to nanos. I'l have to wait and see.

B

hillbilly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd still keep the ten gal. You'll always need it for putting stuff in that you need to remove from the large tank. Great for frag growout too!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just because it's cheaper, damnit, or you don't have space, or you move too often, don't kid yourselves!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, Matt, was that from the heart, dude? That seemed out of character!
I think nanos attract our sense of mystery more so than large tanks, though that may seem counter-intuitive to many... In a nano, theres virtually no place for anything small to hide and never be found, and that means only small stuff can be kept in them; if one follows the proverbial scale downwards into minuteness, the basically transparent aspects of the reef ecosystem become more center-stage. In other words, what you might have considered insignificant or of little interest in a tank where large organisms made there abode suddenly seems so much more fathomable; of course, you dont see nano-reefers with their microscopes every day, enjoying the "majestic beauty" of bacteria or other micro fauna, but the mysterys of the coral reef seem closer and more personal than ever in a small tank!
I dont know about you guys, but I love nanos for that little irritation in my deeper mind that shouts "smaller is better because it is damnit!"!
Just this philosopher's stone...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably won't sell teh tanks I have now, just combine them. Currently in my apartment are an empty 1 and an empty 7gal. So what if there's a few more empties lying around.

I was origionally gonna set up a 100 long reef. It wasn't about the money, or the space. (www.bad-coffee.com/100) That tank had so much copper I couldn't have kept a coral alive more than a month. so it stayed freshwater. I had a 10 gallon on my desk, and what-do-you-know, a 15 high has the same footprint. whala! tigerbarbs go back to the pet store, new reef tank moves in!

Now the 100 is gone, I miss having a huge tank around. Can't wait to move and get the 75, or a 5' 100 gal.

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nanos cheaper?? ive lived in the same apt for two years. and i have the room if i ditch my 55gal FW for a reef..so no thats not the reason :wink:

skylsdale

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just because it's cheaper, damnit, or you don't have space, or you move too often, don't kid yourselves!

Yup, I'd pretty much say that's the reason. Otherwise, why else would everyone in this thread talk about the "chic" and mystery of nanos and then drop in what they would do when they can have their monster system? Because it's just a means to an end...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
skylsdale, thats all there is to it? How singular and depressingly shallow...

Central WA, huh? Like the Columbia basin/valley area? Man, I hated washington... boring, empty state... I lived there for like 8 years... Yuk...

skylsdale

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not shallow at all. Nano's are great: I've never had anything bigger than 30 gallons. However, give someone a five thousand dollars to spend and they're most likely not going to be setting up 7 nanos in their living room--it's going to be something quite a bit larger. Not shallow at all--just realistic.

No...not out in the basin. In the Cascade foothills (between Leavenworth and Wenatchee). ANy further east and I would absolutely hate it...but after spending 4 years in Oregon's Willamette Valley (where it's either raining or it's not)--this place is an absolutel paradise. Four distinct seasons...and supposedly the wine country up here is being described as "what the Napa valley was 20 years ago"...before everyone moved there. ;) Of course, it seems as though Seattlites have discovered this place, and they're migrating over the mountains in droves to get away from the city.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dew,
I was just joking...I hope I've made it quite clear from all my previous posts that I LOVE nanos :D

Hey, I just noticed you live in Napa...you don't happen to know a girl named Alison or Charlotte do ya? Ever go to the Rutherford Grill?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I wonder about having a huge aquarium: how can you get to know some of the smaller inhabitants? You get a 300 gallon setup and dump 50 crabs into it or whatever ... must be hard to track the welfare of an individual.

skylsdale

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hwrang, I kind of view nanos and bigger tanks with completely different philosophies. As for nanos, I see them best used for just a few specimens, such as letting one or two species of coral run rampant and really showcasing a few things in a really big way. Obviously, in a smaller space you're going to notice those hermits more and pay more attention to detail--the way a rock is facing can shift the entire feel of the tank.

However, bigger tanks are a painted with a broader stroke, IMO. To me it's about an overall feeling, rather than itty bitty showcase pieces all over the place. I think this is what a lot of people try to attempt, and so many large tanks end up looking the same. Over the last year it seems to me that nanos are all starting to look the same as well. I like larger tanks because you can have more interaction--there is more ecological sway happening in the tank. For instance, you dump the crabs in and just see them once in a while doing their thing. They are just part of the overall picture, not in one of the spotlights. You get an overall feeling from the stands of colt swaying in the flow as a tang glides by over them and a school of chromis darts in the opposite direction, etc. It's hard to achieve that "broader" feel in a small space, and so I think nanos are great at up-close inspection. You really get to see what's going on in those tanks because your face isn't usually more than a few inches from any given part of it. A larger tank makes that more difficult, and as I said, I think works best at giving an overall impression when viewing.

However, a few strategically placed nanos on a desk or in an entertainment center can be pretty cool looking as well.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: