• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

In terms of work/effort and resources consumed, how much harder is a nano over a larger setup to sta

• A lot harder

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Moderately harder

• Neutral

• Moderately easier

• A lot easier

• Incompatible comparison

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A

Anonymous

Ok people, lets have it for the record then!
"Alright gents, its another simulation gone mad. You know the drill!"

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a tough one, it depends on what type of nano or larger tank you want to set up. The general myth is that nanos are a lot harder and require a lot more effort than larger, more forgiving setups. I think this is true in some cases, but definitely not all. You could put a lot of effort into building an amazing little self contained pico like brandon's, or you could just buy a nanocube and run it as is or with a few small mods. But if you were to compare similar setups, like say a 90 gallon soft coral and LPS tank to a ten gallon soft coral and LPS tank, you will in general save money on the nano. I found that setting up my nano was easier than my bigger tank simply because there was less to do. Less sand and rock to put in and arrange, less water to fill and to change, fewer powerheads to deal with, and no skimmer. But if you wanted to set up an SPS/clam nano, you might want halides, a skimmer, and refugium, which add cost and effort. In general though, I don't think nanos are harder than larger tanks, as they are commonly thought to be. So if you're doing this poll to decide if you want to step into the world of nanos, I encourage you to do it. It's different, but a lot of fun and I'm sure you'll be hooked like the rest of us

Fozza

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of work/effort, I'd have to say nano is moderately easier, just the fact that you put soo much less chemicals in, change alot less water per water change.

Nano's are just alot easier (far too easy) to overstock. Its just too easy to want to add an extra thing here and there. Nano's take more self-control IMO.

fishfanatic2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said moderately harder, not only from a maintenance standpoint, but you are also very limited as far as livestock selection. :wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe not harder but more demanding on nanos side..you really have to watch a little closer some of your parameters..a lot less room for error...(i honestly cant say which is harder since ive never owned a larger Reef setup then my 20)

nanocat

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nanocube set up in December, piece of cake. Still going strong. I'd never even had a freshwater aquarium and I found it bulletproof as long as I kept weekly 2.5g. water changes. I though it was easy, and my LPS and clowns are doing great.
80 gallon SPS tank set up in March, much, much more demanding. Skimmers, sumps, pumps, dosing, lighting, etc. There's nothing like a few thousand dollars of corals to keep you on your toes :lol:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well put, nanocat!!! :lol:
Actually, everyone here has put it well enough, and such!
Thanks for the replies people, and keep em' coming!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool nanocat..right on...but remember its still a new tank...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody else has anything on this? Not even a mild quip? Man, I think I need more that 12 votes to make a sound decision/conclusion, right?...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: