Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I recently got a Fluval Chi tank and I want to make it for non-photosynthetic corals. In my other tank I have a sun coral and an orange sponge (Trikentrion flabelliforme). For the past week I have fed them a mixture of foods, (brine, rods food, mysis, etc...) They are both doing well under par38 lighting, however I am about to upgrade to the AI Sol Nano. Therefore, they will be taken out of that tank and placed in the new one. I have done some research and come up with a pretty good idea of what I'm going to do for my new tank. However, it would be nice to get some suggestions specific to my tank. I suppose this will be my tank thread.

Questions Thus Far:

1. How long I should keep the lights on, the light is purely aesthetic but will it hurt them to stay on too long?

2. How many water changes should I do monthly?

3. What type of clean-up-crew should I get for this tank?

4. I have a Koralia 240, would that, combined with a small hang on filter be enough flow?

5. Does anyone know a good blue clip-on light, I want 2 of them for the tank. (I know, dumb question :smash:)

6. Are there any recommendations for a small filter that packs a big punch?

Any suggestions are more than welcome, as this is a learning experience for me. I don't plan on making this a terribly difficult system to maintain so I am not going to automate several different types of food like I've seen done.

Last edited:

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
I'm not really familiar with non photosynthetic reef livestock.
I tend to shy away from them due to the extra work of feeding them.

The extended photoperiod may not hurt them but won't you have algae issues because of that?

As for water changes maybe you can start off with weekly then probably can try biweekly and see if that will be tolerated by the inhabitants.

A nano clean up crew like small hermit species and shrimps will probably work for that size tank.

Will you be tossing out the stock filter/light? Maybe you can try the finnex clip on or the Rio but I'm not sure if the have all blues.

For a small filter maybe you can try a finnex 360 canister or an AC20. I have the AC20 in my nano reef together with a Koralia nano 240gph and seems to be Ok in my 6g fluval edge tank.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Hey Jeff,

I plan on weekly water changes, most likely a gallon at a time. I plan on getting 4 or 5 smaller hermit crabs to start out, maybe 1 or 2 small snails. The stock filter and light are both out. I have them running right now as the tank cycles, however, I just ordered the AC20 filter and a rio mini LED. I'm going to do a water change tomorrow, test before and after and see where the tank stands. It's been running for about 3 weeks with established water from my main tank.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
zO.K. So an update on the tank. I've been doing weekly water changes, taking 4.5 gallons from my display and replacing the same amount into the NPS tank. My levels are as follows:

Alk: 10.2 (A bit high)
Cal: 400ppm
Amm: 0
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
Phos: .25ppm

I am doing another water change tomorrow. Here is a photo, I placed a mushroom rock in there to see how it would do. It's been there for 3 days, and seems to be doing ok. They are much bigger in my other tank, but I think that is because of the lesser lighting. They're going to go back to the main tank when I transfer my NPS corals. Temp has been around 74 degrees which I think should be ok, although I would prefer a tad warmer.

I just got the Rio Sun LED, EX20 filter, and Heat Stik Mini from Russ at Saltwater Critters. He really knows how to treat his customers, I highly recommend him for any dry goods.

The filter tube is pretty big, so when I rearrange my rock and corals, I will try to hide it as best I can. Here is a photo thus far.

6.20.2011.jpg

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
So a few changes have been made in the past week or so. I got a smaller version of the filter that I had before, it was too strong for the tank before.

Current Livestock:

~1" picasso clown from Gotham Aquatics
1 head of dendro from Manhattan Aquariums (Now 1 large head 2 small heads)
sun coral colony from Manhattan Aquariums that is about 40-50 heads
2 small frags of black sun coral from Manhattan Aquariums

Currently the sun coral opens up only when fed. I am feeding the tank a mix of mysis, rod's food, roggers food, and phytoplankton. Currently doing water changes every 3-4 days ~1 gallon. I am also occasionally feeding the corals in a separate container so I don't contaminate the water too much since my filter is somewhat inadequate for the type of feeding they really need.

Anyways, here are a few photos I took. BTW aquascaping small tanks is much harder than doing larger tanks!

sun_coral-clown.jpg

sun_coral.jpg

dendro_1.jpg

I will test my water params and post them soon, I'm too lazy to do it tonight.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: