P

Pedro

Ok, so i got bored and used my 105mm with my reversed 50mm to get real close. These bubbles are very small. Stay tuned, hopefully tomorrow i will have some extreme closeups of a few polyps.

Last edited by a moderator:

gil716

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Hey Pedro, been enjoying all your pics. Curious to hear what your opinion is on macro methods. Reversed lens vs extension tubes vs macro filters. Would any of these methods provide high quality pics with minimal light loss?

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Gil,
Hard to say. Obviously, the less glass you have in front the better the image quality. I prefer to use the macro lens alone. But on occasions i use a 250d to get me closer. The 250d is a closeup filter. It's made by canon and is high quality. It takes a bit of getting used to, as the depth of field changes.

Haven't used extensions, but i hear they work ok. Since there's no glass in between, i imagine the quality stays good.

I have tried the reversed lens on the camera alone, but that will lose all the metering and focusing functions. I prefer to use the reversed lens coupled unto another lens. I use the 105mm coupled with the 50mm. I leave the 50mm wide open to let in light. You can then use the setup as a regular lens, with auto metering and focusing. Of course you can always go manual.

With the proper settings, i do believe you can get high quality pics from all of them. It just takes some practice, and alot of patience. :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: