innsanity

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No matter how hard I try with this camera, I cant get good closeups .. am I missing something here ?

Thanks
Alan Meade

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know much about that model of camera, so I can't really give you any specific advice (sorry!), but there are a few more generalized things that I can mention. I think most have been said at one point or another in various posts around here.

+ Check and see if your camera has a macro function. If it does, you'll need to use it. If it doesn't, odds are the closest thing you'll be able to focus on is about 1m or so.

+ If your camera does have macro, turn it on, kill the autofocus, and kill the flash.

+ Use a tripod for maximum stability in macro photography.

+ Get as much light as you can onto your subject. Note I said though don't use the flash. With macro work a flash will most likely either over-light your subject or cast really weird shadows that are almost impossible to control at such close distances.

+ Check your owner's manual--each camera's functions at close range are slightly different. Example, my minolta has 2 separate macro functions depending on how I have the lens barrel set. Very strange and it took me a couple weeks to figure it out (I was dumb and didn't read the manual first).

Cheers,
John

NKT

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Something else to consider is remember to turn off all your water circulation before taking pics...it makes everything a whole lot easier. Your camera is supposed to be able to focus down to 4cm (which is very decent) so if you're not getting good results using autofocus, then, as Sharkky said, try using the manual. You also might want to play with the white balance settings (depending on your tank lighting) if your colors don't come out right. Oh, and one other thing...if you aren't using a tripod, you probably should, especially for macro work. And once you have it on a tripod, use the timer setting on the camera so you don't have to physically push the button. Since the p9 is so small I'll bet pushing the shutter will cause a significant amount of camera shake. So, try that, and tell us how you do! And, as always, practice makes perfect ;). Hope this helps

jamesw

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I recall, the P-9 does not give you much in the way of manual control. It's probably giving you the lowest fstop and the fastest shutterspeed you can get. This results in very little depth of field and most/all of your photo can be blurry.

I would try to apply the techniques mentioned by Sharkky - it's good advice.

Cheers
James

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: