A

Anonymous

I need some recommendations for a good all around macro for my D80. What's the general consensus. FWIW, $300 - $400 range.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gresh, Nikkor 60mm F2.8 micro or Tamron's 90mm F2.8. Both are under $400. The Nikkor is a bit better in terms of build and performance, but the Tamron is a very high value lens.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should be picking up the Nikkor 60mm later this week :D Thanks for the recomendation Len :D

BTW, got any tips on shooting shiny objects (plastic bottles)?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reflective objects are tricky. It comes down to controlling light. Avoid flash if possible, and provide light that is even and omni directional. This may require you to use multiple light sources pointed in various directions as well as diffusers to soften the light. There are a lot of lighting products for these purposes, such as soft boxes and shooting "cocoons." Also, be mindful of your shooting angles (sorry if I'm stating the obvious ;)) With an SLR, you should be able to accurately see how the light is effecting the image, unless you're using flash of course (another reason to avoid flash).

A circular polarizing filter on your lens can help keep reflection/refraction in order too.

einstein

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I just got the 60mm F2.8 for my D50 I am quite happy with it but need to work on nailing my setting for optimal pics....here is a sample of one I did a few days ago with that lens.
bluetip01_sm.jpg

I don't think you can go wrong with it as I found out is is touted as one of Nikons best lenses.

Gl

einstein

Diana

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey... I have the same lens w/ a D70 cam... and that is a fantastic pic! What settings did you use for that photo?

:)
-Diana

Diana

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey... I have the same lens w/ a D70 cam... and that is a fantastic pic! What settings did you use for that photo?

:)
-Diana

DaveMorris1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Einstein,

Where did you get your macrro lens? I have a D70s and have started looking for a macro. That pic looks great.

DaveMorris1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Einstein,

Where did you get your macrro lens? I have a D70s and have started looking for a macro. That pic looks great.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, take it easy on the submit button.

Patience young grasshopper.

Nice pict BTW~

einstein

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought it from 17th street photo...they had the best price at the time and they are an online dealer who does NOT sell Grey market equipment.

You can google and find them...

Thanks everyone for the compliments on the photo

einstein

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the D70 as well and have been looking for a while to find a good macro. Thanks for the tip len. Any suggestions on settings would be helpful as well. I am having the most trouble with whitebalance.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everytime I post I get a debug error.

Stupid computers and multiple posts.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White balance - use a white tile in the tank or a coffee filter and set a preset White balance. The Nikon manual is actually pretty good and explaining how to do this.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did that with a piece of paper and it didn't work at all. Colors came out really off. I guess I will try again. Thanks.

bdejong

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Sigma APO Macro DG HSM 150mm true macro lens and it is great. I was 525 when I purchased it late last year. I had great reviews in the mags, does a true 1:1 macro, and a non-rotating front element while focusing and also has the ability to focus to infinity which allows it to be used as a regular prime lens for telephoto work. Best part is that it is a f2.8 lens so it works great in low light or high light conditions.

here is a link to a quick dragonfly shot I took.
http://picasaweb.google.com/dejongb/Insect/photo#4990386897313267730

I would highly recommend it.

Attachments

• _MG_3842 PZMacro.jpg
    _MG_3842 PZMacro.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 5,690
  • _MG_3840 PZMacro.jpg
    _MG_3840 PZMacro.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 5,694

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: