A

Anonymous

I have finally made up my mind on the D80, and also decided to part with the cashola. :D

Where is the best on-line place to purchase a Nikon D80?

I do the NexTag thing and see prices ranging from the low 700's to well over 1000.

I haven't heard of most of those places selling the camera shown on NexTag. See NexTag results

eBay is full of people selling all kinds of kits. Not really wanting to go that way.

I don't want to pay to much, but I don't want to get screwed over either.

Who is reputable and reasonably priced?

Also, what lenses should I buy to start with? I know I want the 60MM Nikkor marco lens, but I'll need a good general purpose lens too. I am already convinced to buy only good lenses. So steer me towards the good lenses (for hobbiests).

Yes, this is my first DSLR.

Any buying tips are appreciated.

Louey

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BH Photo is the best place to buy (it's where pros shop). Not the cheapest, but the most reliable, largest inventory, and best purchasing system out there. Other choices: JR.com and Adorama.com. There are other vendors out there that will be cheaper, but these are sure things. Don't go for the unreasonably cheap offers as they are almost always going to be scams or bait and switch sellers. Buy USA body/authorized dealer only if you ever wish to service your camera in the States. Some of the cheaper places are gray market bodies.

D80 is an outstanding tool. Aside from the 60mm, you'll want a general purpose lens to start out. The ED 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF DX VR is a good, affordable lens to try first. This lens will cover just about the entire focal length you'll likely use (wide angle to super telephoto). The 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G is also well reviewed by many people.

BTW, check out bythom.com for excellent Nikon related reviews and info.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am familiar with B&H.

I noticed that all three of the places you listed sell the camera for around $925.00.

They all also offer it in a kit that includes a 18-135 f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens. I take it you're not a big fan of this lens?

Another question: If I buy the body only and a seperate lens, will I have everything I need to start taking pictures? Or is there some other widget that I'll need to buy? Like a lense adapter or something?

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the D70 with the 18-70mm lens. I love it. I didn't require any additional "stuff" to get started. Definietly don't buy from the cheap places as they are mostly gray market as Len said. If you are getting it for 925 that isn't too bad. I dropped 1500 for the D70. Wish I had waited a few years lol.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len wrote:

You'll want a general purpose lens to start out. The ED 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF DX VR is a good, affordable lens to try first. This lens will cover just about the entire focal length you'll likely use (wide angle to super telephoto).

Is this the one you are referring to:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...18&is=GREY&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

The 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G is also well reviewed by many people.

This one?:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...190&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

What is the primary difference between the kind of pictures that could be taken with these two lenses?

I am new to interchangeble lenses, so pardon me if for asking quesitons that may seem obvious.

Would I be correct to think that if I bought the 18-200MM lens then the 18-70MM would be un-needed? Is it just a matter of paying more for a bigger lens that has a broader range?

Louey

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For lenses, it doesn't matter much if you buy gray or USA. Nikon is a lot more picky about servicing bodies then lenses (which almost never break unless you're stupid with it :P). Ya, the BH link is the lens I'm referring to, but it is rather pricey. The reason for its price is that it has the widest range of focal lengths of any lens I know (effectively 11x zoom) and is reported to be a very good performer at all focal lengths (quite a feat for any zoom lens). But the 18-70mm that Ranger has is a great lens too for a much more affordable price. It just doesn't have the telephoto capability .... you'll just need to buy a longer lens if you shoot long distance. Yes, you a correct in that getting the 18-200 would negate the need for the 18-70 since it covers the same focal lengths (and then some!) and the 18-70 doesn't offer any feature the 18-200 doesn't have (18-200 is feature packed with AFS and Vibration Reduction - the 18-70 does not have VR; both lenses have the same minimum aperature of F/3.5).

The camera will come with everything you need except memory. Basically, all you need is the camera, a lens, and memory.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, thanks Len.

That damn 18-200 lens is out of stock at B&H. Sumbitch. I wanted to order it all from one place.

Louey

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JR.com looks like they have both in stock. The price on the lens is listed at 799, but they have a price match policy. Not sure if they will accommodate price matches for backordered items though, but you can try (or find another vendor that has the lens in stock for less and refer JR to that vendor).

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len wrote:

JR.com looks like they have both in stock.

Nope. The 18-200 is out of stock there too.

Dammit.

A camera body isn't much good without a lense. lol

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's out of stock at Adorama too.

Shite. This lens must be popular.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very well reviewed everywhere. I'd get the camera and 60mm first. You can shoot most anything with that. Get the 18-200 when it's in stock.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len wrote:

I'd get the camera and 60mm first. You can shoot most anything with that.

I didn't realize a macro lens was that versatile.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crissy,

Have you ever bought from them before?

That's a decent price for the package.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent them an email questioning if it is gray market products. Let's see what they say.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: