• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Here's a couple of pictures that I have taken with my D80 that I recieved today. I've taken about 40 shots so far. Most will be deleted. I did get a few decent pics, though nothing to write home about.

These are taken with the 60MM Nikkor Macro lens.

Attachments

• Atlantic-Blue-Tang.jpg
    Atlantic-Blue-Tang.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 5,822
  • Oregon-Tort.jpg
    Oregon-Tort.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 5,812
  • Lokani.jpg
    Lokani.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 5,813
A

Anonymous

One thing that I find odd thus far is that with this lens: the camera will not take a picture unless the minimum apperture lock is on, which can only be done when the apperature is set to it's minimum setting (of course), which is 32. That limits what I can do, or so it seems.

I have only tried using the fully automatic mode and the macro mode thus far.

I gots lots of reading and playing to do this weekend. :lol:

Louey

A

Anonymous

Pretty good for a first try!

Look forward to evidence of even more practice.:)

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Louey, nice pics and nice Acros (not a big fan of the Tang photo :P).

The setting on the lens is correct. The aperture ring is used on manual camera systems to set the aperture. However, on a fully automatic camera such as the D80, you set it to F/32 and the camera will open and close the physical aperture for you based on what the camera tells the lens to do.

I usually shoot in aperture priority mode and let the camera work out the shutter speed. This allows me to have a good deal of control over light and more importantly, depth of field. Shooting full auto doesn't give you much control. Shooting full manual (where you have to set both ap and ss) is way too slow and prone to error for practical purposes.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len wrote:

The setting on the lens is correct. The aperture ring is used on manual camera systems to set the aperture. However, on a fully automatic camera such as the D80, you set it to F/32 and the camera will open and close the physical aperture for you based on what the camera tells the lens to do.

OIC. I thought is was forcing me to shot at F32, which of course made no sense.

I usually shoot in aperture priority mode and let the camera work out the shutter speed. This allows me to have a good deal of control over light and more importantly, depth of field. Shooting full auto doesn't give you much control. Shooting full manual (where you have to set both ap and ss) is way too slow and prone to error for practical purposes.

I used Aperature priorty mode alot too, with my 995. I'll figure out to do so with this camera too. Must read....

One of the reasons I bought the Nikon over Canon was I thought the controls would be similar to my 995. There may be some similarities, but there are so many more controls. I must read the book from cover to cover 5 times. :lol:

BTW, I am on page 3. I keep picking the camera up. At this pace, I'll be done with the book just in time to take good Christmas pictures. :lol:

Louey

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, it's quite different then the 900 series coolpix :) But the ergonomics will become second nature in no time. There's only a few core functions you'll need on a daily basis.

The main reason I love Nikon over Canon is that Nikon makes sense to me. Canon's ergonomics are not as intuitive and some of the layout simply is awkward for my hands to use.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright. Yesterday I continued reading the book and shooting more pics. It seems that the best pictures came when I threw out all the stops. Tripod, turning off the room lights, turning off the Tunze's, etc. It's still tough to get good shots in my tank. I wonder if 1/2" glass is just that tough to shot through?

When I shoot in maco mode, the flash pops up too often. I have also shot in Program, Aperature priority and automatic. I can say that I have a favorite mode yet. It seems that the best shots are just luck.

I have noticed that what I see through the lens looks sharper than the the actual picture. So I need to use the timer more often and even get the remote shutter control from shooting from the tripod.

One thing I wish I could do is zoom in a little bit even when using Automatic zoom. Just so I could compose the picture the way I want. I can do that manually, but it just seems like there would be a zoom +/- button somewhere on the camera.

I can't wait to get my 18-200MM lens next week. All of the pictures that I have taken asides from tank pictures have come out nicely. I want to go birding. :D

Louey

Attachments

• Bonsai.jpg
    Bonsai.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 5,759
  • Insignis.jpg
    Insignis.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 5,760
  • Sohal.jpg
    Sohal.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 5,759
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple more...

Attachments

• Rasberry-Mille.jpg
    Rasberry-Mille.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 5,760
  • War-Coral.jpg
    War-Coral.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 5,759
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a picture I took of my pond.

I wish I had the telephoto lens so I could get a good shot of that snake. The close up of the snake is just a blow-up from the other picture. The snake was probably 10-12 feet away.

And yes, I did clean that clump of hair algae out of the pond yesterday. :lol:

Louey

Attachments

• Snake1.jpg
    Snake1.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 5,760
  • Snake.jpg
    Snake.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 5,756
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This photos are getting better and better. :)

Looks like all that study's paying off...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some fish are a ***** to photograph and some are easy as pie.

I can take pictures of my Sohal or my Atlantic Blue, like the one below, all day long.

My Lyretail Anthias are difficult to shot. Below is the best shot I've gotten yet, and it took a bit of photoshopping to make it halfway presentable.

Bluejaw trigger, forget it. I haven't even come close to getting a shot of him in focus.

My clownfish, forget it too. He stays in a spot that is poorly lit, so without flash it's nearly impossible to get a good pic.

But I shall keep shooting.

Today, I didn't get to shoot much. Too busy doing other stuffs.

Louey

Attachments

• ABT.jpg
    ABT.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 5,748
  • Lyretail-Anhtias.jpg
    Lyretail-Anhtias.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 5,747
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that Oregon Tort suppoised to be that light color? I only have the California variant and its a dark blue. Never seen the oregon version that close.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sfsuphysics wrote:

Is that Oregon Tort suppoised to be that light color?

Now that you mention it, it did use to be darker. I have three frags of it at different locations in my tank and they are all lighter now than when I first got them. Hope they are okay and are just adjusting to my tank/lights/flow, etc.

Everyone that sees them think that they are the must stunning corals in the tank. I tend to agree.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a very purdy blue, even if not the same as the original. :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my 18-200MM lens yesterday. Took it out on the Golf course this morning and did manage to get one decent bird picture.

I haven't had a chance to read up on this lens yet, so I was happy to get one decent picture.

Louey

Attachments

• Heron.jpg
    Heron.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 5,592

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice :)

Hey, is your Bonsai Acro really that white? It's really attractive ... I've never seen any that pale.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len wrote:

Hey, is your Bonsai Acro really that white? It's really attractive ... I've never seen any that pale.

It is now. I lost a few corals to bleaching over the last month or so. The bonsai just turned pale but has stayed looking just like that picture for probably two weeks now. It's quite beautiful now. I hope it doesn't die on me.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to the beach today and took the camera along. Thought I might get to shoot some shore birds. This lens is not ideal for birding, but it did better than I expected. Especially considering how new the camera and lens is to me.

I may buy a bigger lens for birding.

Louey

Attachments

• 081---Resized.jpg
    081---Resized.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 5,551
  • 089-resized-for-web.jpg
    089-resized-for-web.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 5,550
  • 113-resized.jpg
    113-resized.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 5,553
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the prettiest bird I saw...

Anyone disagree. :P

Louey

Attachments

• 083---Resized.jpg
    083---Resized.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 5,546

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: