scottlarmr

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently been given a few of my late grandfathers photographs, some that he exhibited and some that have been hidden for years.

They are all mounted, presumably by him - but have been badly stored in an old, rusty trunk for years. The most recent is dated 1984 and I think they've been stored since around then.

The photos themselves show no signs of fading or deterioration, but some are stained by the rust and there is grime on most of them (some even have surface marks from spiders that had made their home with them!).

I would like to clean them if I can, so that I can frame them, but since they're all mounted I don't know how I should go about it. Would cleaning with alcohol on cotton wool damage the print (how would this effect the mount)?

Does any one have any ideas how I should proceed?

scottlarmr

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently been given a few of my late grandfathers photographs, some that he exhibited and some that have been hidden for years.

They are all mounted, presumably by him - but have been badly stored in an old, rusty trunk for years. The most recent is dated 1984 and I think they've been stored since around then.

The photos themselves show no signs of fading or deterioration, but some are stained by the rust and there is grime on most of them (some even have surface marks from spiders that had made their home with them!).

I would like to clean them if I can, so that I can frame them, but since they're all mounted I don't know how I should go about it how to clean old photos. Would cleaning with alcohol on cotton wool damage the print (how would this effect the mount)?

Does any one have any ideas how I should proceed?
thanks in advance for any input

babaji5050

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaning old and badly stored photos can be a delicate and time-consuming process, but it's worth the effort to preserve your precious memories. Here's a step-by-step guide to help you clean and restore old photos:

1. Gather your supplies:

• Soft-bristle brush
  • Compressed air canister
  • Microfiber cloths
  • Archival photo sleeves or albums
  • Photo editing software (optional)
2. Handle with care:

• Wash and dry your hands thoroughly before touching the photos.
  • Work on a clean and flat surface to avoid further damage.
3. Remove loose dust and dirt:

• Use a soft-bristle brush or compressed air to gently remove loose particles from the photo's surface. Do not use your breath to blow off dust as moisture can damage the photo.
4. Wipe gently:

• If there are still particles on the photo, use a microfiber cloth to gently wipe the surface. Be careful not to press too hard or rub vigorously, as this can scratch the photo.
5. Repair tears and creases:

• If your photo has tears or creases, consider seeking professional help for restoration. Attempting to repair them yourself can lead to further damage.
6. Store properly:

• Place your cleaned photos in archival photo sleeves or albums to protect them from dust, light, and humidity. Acid-free and lignin-free materials are best for long-term preservation.
7. Digitize your photos (optional):

• Scanning your old photos can help create digital backups. This is especially useful for restoring color and making further edits using photo editing software.
8. Digital photo restoration (optional):

• If you're comfortable with photo editing software or willing to hire a professional, you can digitally restore old photos. This process can include repairing cracks, color correction, and enhancing faded images.
9. Back up your digital copies:

• Store your digital copies in multiple locations, such as external hard drives, cloud storage, and physical backups, to ensure their long-term preservation.
10. Maintain a suitable environment:- Store your physical photos in a cool, dry, and dark place to prevent further deterioration.

11. Consider professional help:- If your photos are severely damaged or valuable, it's advisable to consult a professional photo restorer or archivist for assistance.

Remember that the process of cleaning and restoring old photos can be time-consuming, and not all damage may be reversible. Be patient and handle your photos with great care throughout the process to ensure their preservation for future generations.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: