ireefny

Rating - 97.4%
37   1   0
hi guys,
Im in the market for a DSLR, trying to narrow my search between D40X,D60 & D80. I dont intend to get into another hobby, but simply want to invest on quality equipment that should prove to be very useful for our hobby, vacations/trips, kids & special events.

should I go for the lower D40X/D60 & spring for a better lense, or just bite the bullet on the D80.

Cameta Photos here on Long Island has some awsome prices posted on Ebay, like a D80 with lens 18-135 for $899, drops to the $750s with Nikon 18-55 lenses

the D40x&D60's run in the $600's with similar lenses.

note: if this post is in the wrong forum please move

medicineman

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same boat last month. I decided on the D80 because it has the internal motor, allowing you to choose from a alot more lenses than the 60 or 40. it is slightly larger, but to me the 60 and 40 were too small. Once I started playing around, the depthof field preview became essential for shot composition as did the more numerous auto focus areas. A nice bonus is that the battery lasts 4-5 times as long.

Your instinct is right that lens matters more than body, but I do not intend to get another camera for some time and am happy with my decision

i picked up some used lenses @ B&H 18-55 and 55-200 VR and was given a number of primes from my sister. The 18-55 is actually reasonable for macro shots.

In the end, you will get amazing pictures with any of those cameras, so I wouldn't worry too much.

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Be careful of some of the 'cheap' camera shops. you're getting a 'grey market' camera, not a USA Warranty one. You'll have to send it to taiwan or china for repair if you get a grey one.

check out prices on www.bhphotovideo.com and see. When they have both USA and Grey you'll see the price difference. Grey versions are sometimes listed as "worldwide warranty"

Sometimes the grey version is $100 cheaper, sometimes it's $10.
Hope this helps.

medicineman

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very good point coffee!

There are also a few places who go by different names that are notorious for bait and switch practices (most operate out of brooklyn and jersey). Check www.resellerratings.com before you purchase. B&H is as reputable as they come but I ordered mine from amazon.

boozeman

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
as stated, be leary of places offering a price that sounds too good to be true...it usually is.
go with either B&H or J&R and have peace of mind.

ireefny

Rating - 97.4%
37   1   0
I have read the reviews from the seller, they have been in the area for a very long time now too. Ebay has them ranked highly 99% over 200K transactions.

going back to lenses, do you guys think I should get two lenses or would the 18-55 be enough

Jayreef1213

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with a 18-70mm "DX" lense at least. I got the 18-135mm dx package that also came with a 70-300mm lense not a "DX" ------VR lenses are better but also more money. Those huge package deals are not really a deal all the acesories are cheap. Buy a package with Camera, minimum of a 18-70mm DX, lense, memory card, bag and cleaning kit. Tripod and stuff can be bought at Radio Shack or another store. For macro shots a filter can be bought for under 30 bucks. Just my .02

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
ireefny if you don't mind the discontinued label then either camera is an awesome buy.the d40 and d80 are being replaced. all cameras mentioned are great cameras,just get yourself a nice macro lens for the tank and you'll love the camera.

if you can drop by BH, do so that way you can get the hands on feel before you decide on a camera body.

ireefny

Rating - 97.4%
37   1   0
thanks guys. Im feeling a bit more confident on taking the plunge. need to do some reading on the VR lenses, looks like they have the most bang for my $$$

Aquatic Life Direct

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
I was in the same boat last month. I decided on the D80 because it has the internal motor, allowing you to choose from a alot more lenses than the 60 or 40. it is slightly larger, but to me the 60 and 40 were too small. Once I started playing around, the depthof field preview became essential for shot composition as did the more numerous auto focus areas. A nice bonus is that the battery lasts 4-5 times as long.

Your instinct is right that lens matters more than body, but I do not intend to get another camera for some time and am happy with my decision

i picked up some used lenses @ B&H 18-55 and 55-200 VR and was given a number of primes from my sister. The 18-55 is actually reasonable for macro shots.

In the end, you will get amazing pictures with any of those cameras, so I wouldn't worry too much.

I kinda regret getting my d40. Should've spent more money on a better camera. Lenses are limited....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: