Photos of My Yellow Encrusting Xenia.
IMG_0061_6469.jpg

YEX1.jpg

Pablo

Coral Farmer
Rating - 100%
212   0   0
Hello All,
I found this Xenia about 2 months ago in a LFS located in the City. It was sold to me as of xenia elongata but I knew it wasn't that. It is yellow and does not pulse. Grows on the slower side. I will start propagation soon.

coralite

Jake Adams
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally, that may actually be a piece of true efflatournaria. Don't frag it for a while so we can see how the colony grows out. It is neither Xenia or Clavularia.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Poppe Images - Marine Iconography in the Philippines
916778.jpg

XENIIDAE
Heteroxenia species
Philippines, Mactan Island, Coral Point. 20 m. Night. 2005

Search Result: 1 records

1. Dinesen, Z.D., 1985
icon_pdf_16x16.gif
Aspects of the life history of a stolon-bearing species of {Efflatounaria} (Octocorallia: Xeniidae).
p. 89-94. In: C. Gabrie and M.
Ref ID 16099 Author Dinesen, Z.D. Year 1985 Title Aspects of the life history of a stolon-bearing species of {Efflatounaria} (Octocorallia: Xeniidae). Source p. 89-94. In: C. Gabrie and M. Keywords ICRS5 soft coral assemblages Caption Abstract A major component of the soft coral assemblages on outershelf and midshelf reefs off Townsville, central Great Barrier Reef region, is the genus Efflatounaria. This xeniid soft coral propagates vegetatively by means of stolons which give rise to daughter colonies. Subpopulations of an Efflatounaria species were studied between December 1980 and June 1982 at two sites at Davies Reef (18?50'S, 147?39'E), one site having overall a comparatively higher density of Efflatounaria than the other site. Using maps derived principally from stereophotographs taken at approximately two-monthly intervals, rates of natalit2 (i.e. production of new colonies) and mortality, and changes in relative abundance, were followed in 1 m plots at 5m and at 10m below l.w.d. (at both sites), and at high and low densities of colonies within plots (at Site 1 only). Vegetative propagation was observed year-round irrespective of sexual reproductive activity, ne.l autonomous daughter colonies being produced within periods of less than two months. Three-way ANOVAs of standardized natality and mortality data indicated, ~~, a significant effect of density on both natality and mortality rates. This suggests that the species' potential for rapid population increase is not realized, the higher natality rates at high densities being offset by higher mortality rates. Efflatounaria sp. is dioecious. Release of eggs occurs in early summer (observed early Decsnber), and is not fully synchronous but is epidemic over a period of a few days. Following release, eggs remain attached to the colony exterior between the swollen polyps, and planulae are probably brooded here. Most propagules of this Efflatounaria species appear to be produced vegetatively, and it seems likely that sexual reproduction serves primari ly to promote dispersal, and maintenance of genetic diversity. Online Documents
icon_pdf_16x16.gif
Full paper

reefkprZ

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beautiful, I stand corrected, it would definatly appear to be a Efflatounaria. I have never seen one of those before and its appearance compared to a clavularia seemed closer. sometimes its worth being wrong just to see great information like that get posted.

Pablo

Coral Farmer
Rating - 100%
212   0   0
Finally, that may actually be a piece of true efflatournaria. Don't frag it for a while so we can see how the colony grows out. It is neither Xenia or Clavularia.
Efflatounaria?:shocked:
Few more photos including purple zenia for side by side comparison.
Mother Colony

IMG_0125.jpg

Frag

IMG_0139.jpg

Frag2

IMG_0135.jpg

Efflatounaria or Giant Cespitularia?

IMG_0182.jpg

Purple2

IMG_0171.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: