Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I never saw this before,,lol.... I am cracking up right now,,lol... Sorry to the dude that actually did this,lol.. Are you kidding me,,,lol..

Attachments

• Cooking rock.jpg
    Cooking rock.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 386

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
hey bob is that your new tang in the avatar?
Maclipes or something like that right?

yea I have met people that have done this and I always wonder did they get told to do it or just remember to boil gravel from fresh water

grknyer

Official Lurker
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I've heard of reefers saying they are cooking rock instead of saying curing but I guess they took it literally.:lol2:
I've seen this pic and post on another site. I don't think he's a member on this site so probably no need to apologise

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Really,,, Just dry it out or bleach it if it's that bad..

Boiling rock has been around for a while. From what I've read in the past it has something to do with the high temperature and low ph (fresh water) which draws out nutrients (biofilms or whatever) from within the rock, like steam stripping nutrients. Supposedly different from just using bleach which only attacks the surface of the rock. The heat from the boiling also cleans the surface of the rock.

Last edited:

marki24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
116   1   0
like mentioned before its something that you do to get rid of pest. I have done it, 100% success. You do end up killing everything on the rock so you basically starting off with a dead rock but no pest :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: