emmanuel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I know this is one of those dumb questions that can have a million answers but I have been researching and everytime I see another product I change my mind, so far went from nikon d40 to d 60 to canon eos 40d wich is probably overkill and now I see cosco has a canon rebel xsi with 2 lenses on sale for 799 . I think I rather have something with a image stabilizer lens dont want to carry a tripod around . It will mostly be used for photos of my tank and some family pics . I do love my little 5 megapixel elf it is great when I am on my motorcycle but sucks when you want to zoom in on something then again a dslr would do me no good on a motorcycle.If only I can get some kind of a zoom on my elf

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Emmanuel,
Have you looked at Pro-sumer cameras? something like a canon G-9 (or the new G-10)? They're about $500. I've used them and they take great pictures. There are adapters available so you can add filters/closeup lenses, effect lenses, ect.
You can also get an underwater housing for it and stick it IN the tank!

If you're going to go with the DSLR, You're going to want better lenses for the tank than come with the kit. Most kits don't come with a macro lens. You'll end up spending another 200-500 on a macro.

I have a Canon 20D, and most of the time, (for everything except my tank,) I shoot with my little point and shoot. So think about which camera you will use the most, and go with it.

Wespastor, check out the canon 570 IS. about $150.

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
the g9 is and excellent camera and with the underwater housing you'd have yourself an unbeatable purchase.

but if you want something with interchangable lenses then take a look at the new nikon d90.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Im looking at the cannon rebel xsi and should be getting one soon. It compares to the nikons that are going for 1k for just the housing. For 600 + a new lense its enough for tank pics and lets me take real nice photo's for work when we finish pieces or for leisure pics. Well worth the money without overspending for what your getting vs what your gonna use it for.

Other than that there are some really good point and shoots out there now which can take some really nice shots and are like 100-300$. Ming listed one and i was told about 2 others that are slipping my mind right now. check the forums there are a few camera posts about the point and shoots.

Reef Reaper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
256   0   0
I have the Nikon D40 and I love it! The lens is very important, so get a good lens with a macro features. The Sigma 150mm macro is good. I heard that the Canon Powershot s51s is very good for your purpose and a lot cheaper. I never tried it , but only heard good things!! Good Luck!

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Emmanuel - I agree almost entirely with Brett. You should think about what you are really going to use if you're going to shell out for a camera.

As far as lenses go - I don't necessarily think that you need a macro to take reasonable tank photos. I didn't have a macro for a long time, and while mine weren't as magnified as a lot of people's, they still had good detail and clarity. What you want to look for in the kit lenses is something that has a little bit of zoom. If it has a little bit of zoom and can stop down to an f2.8(ish), then you can get a pretty good macro effect without the macro lens.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys,girls,.....I wanted a DSLR,...but was too$$$$,..and the lack of takin video clips was an additional setback......I searched a lot,....I wound up with a FUJI S700 I dont think u can get a better deal,...plus there are aftermarket lenses and adaptors for it,....not just a point and shooot,..also has a pretty decent macro mode.....I am very pleased It wont fit in ur pocket,...but that did not bother me at all.

Let me know how u all make out.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: