hijinks

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I run photoblog.com and talk to a lot of really great photographers.. I use to have a point and shoot and wanted a SLR. I got a canon.

The bottom line is this.. the D40 will blow away any point and shoot. The basic flash is better. no shutter lag and the colors are better. Equipment will only help you take good pictures.. you really have to know how to use the SLR to take great pictures.

If you really want nice pictures most of your investment will be in the lens. The default one is good but doesn't take great low light photos.

fishguttz

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the D40 and I absolutely love it. I got the package with the slightly longer lens. I really want the Sigma 10-20mm. I've seen some amazing photography with that lens and a ND gradated filter. I couldn't think of any reason why 10 pixels would help me more than 6pixels. I think the money is better spent on lenses that can be very pricey. Either way it's your best choice for a camera. Have you been to B and H photo to check them out?

mluz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Sorry for the hijack:tongue1:

I know this thread is about Nikon's but i am in the market to get a SLR but no i'm confused if i should get a Canon or a Nikon. Can anyone chime in with some links for canon reviews or why they chose a Canon instead.

fishguttz

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend going to BHPhoto or another place to see the cameras side by side. The Canon has a real plastic chinsy feel to it. I think you'll be happier with the Nikon.

hijinks

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
The entry level canon/nikon's are pretty much the same. I'd go in and hold both of them.. I think the nikon is a bit lighter.. I may be wrong.

I got a canon mainly because I got a good deal on some used lens's that would fit it.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Get a pentax. ;) All lenses 100% compatible, backwards and forwards.

... of course, I'm the only person I know who has gone that route. But I really can't say enough good things about their new D line of cameras - the D100 for the pro-am route and the D10 and D20 for the more professional route. I use the Pentax D20.

Last edited:

mluz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Wow now we got Pentax in the mix :lol:.

But seriously i appreciate all the input but after reading the reviews in other websites it seems they are pretty much the same as far as feature set, at least for the least expensive models.

I'm going to have to visit a store and get a feel for both, that is if i have any money left after the swap:tongue1:

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I started with a Pentax film SLR and already had lenses. No point in investing in a different brand digital body. But in all seriousness, I am REALLY happy with the new Pentax series. They fixed a lot of the problems I had with their *ist and *istDS cameras.

I will add that if weight is a big issue (which it actually was for a friend of mine who has severe tendinitis in her wrists), the *istDS is the lightest digital SLR on the market. I don't know how the K100 compares in weight.

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I started with Canons. I'm now a Nikon guy.

I love my D100. Since they have been discontinued, the price REALLY dropped on them.

We have a D1, D3, & D300 in the family. The D100 is my favorite due to it's light weight.

Every lens I own has cost more than what we paid for the D100 body alone :(

NaCl H20

(not the vendor)
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
"Best Bang for the Buck"

I found this post over at Steve's Digicams forum: Thought it might add to the conversation:

---
"Buy the previous low light champ the d50. You can get one off craigslist $250. Mine had 1000 snaps. There are many reasons to buy this over a d40 or d60 but the ability to use older af lenses and the 5 instead of three auto focus points were reason enough. And no I don't find the rear lcd too small.

Buy a 18-70mm off. I bought one from a pro, NIB, for $100. This isn't a junk kit lens.

Buy a 50mm 1.8 af or afd for less than $100. Mine was $95 and I got three filters and a lens hood. Sharpest lens ever made by Nikon. I use mine for inside shots of my grandchild.

I also bought a 70-210mm f/4 for $150 which came with two filters and a Lowepro case. This old lens is Nikon's sharpest consumer zoom and for a few bucks, Nikon can make it perform like new.

I have seen an 18-200mm for less than $500, but like my set up.

I love Craigslist. -mlhm5"

NaCl H20

(not the vendor)
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Nikon Instant Rebates

Yes, anyone can post on there - it wasn't a review from a pro necessarily but I just thought it was an interesting angle.

By the way Nikon had an ad insert in the Sunday paper with instant rebates on their entire line of between $50 (D40) and $600 (D700). They have varying end dates.

Starting to look mighty tempting.

jainy

Active Reefer
Rating - 50%
2   2   0
I've owned the d50 and currently own the d40 and d300. The d50 is a great camera but it's low light (high ISO) capability is inferior compared to the d40 or d60. Photographing an aquarium requires a camera with good high iso low noise.

It is true you can use older lenses but unless you already have them I don't see the point.

Hope this helps

BZOFIQ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Mark, how is the D90? Happy with the purchase? What type of glass did it come with?

I can't wait for 5D MKII, this is going to be one heck of a camera and most importantly finaly a full sensor for mua.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: