Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Welcome to the MR family. Nice video, but what was the humming?
Can you please tell us a little about your system and some still pics would be great too....;)

salt-rookie

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, LOTS of questions and I'll post still pictures. The hum is refrigeration grade fans in my canopy...NOT loud, my carera mic is VERY hot! Is is a 180 gallon custom tank, center overflow. Been setup almost 4 years.

55 gallon fuge, under display
60 gallon Rubbermaid sump
120 gallon frag tank, 8' X 2' X 1'
ASD Calcium Reactor uses about 8 lbs of ARM every 2.5 months
ASM G-5 Skimmer w/ gate valve mod
1st Closed Loop Sequence 1000 1/2 hp, 5,000 GPH
2nd CL, Mag 36 on SCWD mod
Phosban and carbon 24/7
3 X 250 watt XM 10K SE on M-58 ballasts
2 X 6' URI Super Actinic VHO supplementation
Level-Loc ATO
Corrent Prime 1/3 HP Chiller
50 Watt Aquanetics UV
drip about 1 gallon of settled Kalk per day
Use Instant Ocean at 1.026/calcium 390/Alk 8/Mag 1350

FISH
Scopas, Yellow, Purple, Sailfin and Naso Tangs
Breeding Pair of Bangaiis
Mated pr. of Oscillarus Clowns
Bi-Color Pseudochromis
2 Sixline Wrasses
Blue Linkia (almost 3 years now)
African Midas Blenny
Yellow Tailed Damsel

Pictures

End shot of my tank taken tonight, coral from sant to surface.

FTS taken today

BangaiS.JPG

My Bangaii Pair, spawn about every 3 weeks during up periods.

Volleyball sized Hot Pink Pocillopora, had it for over 4 years, taken from top.

Pink Millipora, about 1.5 feet in diameter, tables only about 8 inches high.

My Insignus, very nice coral...I LOVE the color of powder blue!

Please be kind, I'm a refugee from Reef Central!

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Very nice tank there Phil..welcome to MR and we're happy to accept all refugees from RC! :)

So...ya going to tell us about the puppy event, and how the ammonia crisis happened?

salt-rookie

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK....I had a litter oif Championship Labrador Retrievers, 7 lived. They were about 6 weeks old, played in the garage, where my sum is, only out of the pen when eating. I left them for 30 seconds to go to the bathroomand they pulled a powerstrip off of the wall and the shock made the corals eject their zooanthelle.

How did you know about that? But its BACK!

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
oh...not good! How long did it take the tank to recover?

How did you know about that?
Crystal ball? lol Nah, couldn't have been, mine is in the shop for repairs...lol
You video link has the other videos posted by you mentioning the puppies incident and the ammonia event.

salt-rookie

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a HUGE Panic Attack, put the puppies away, and got in touch with Eric Borneman for advice. Using his advice, I lowered the temp by a couple of degrees, cut the photoperiod to about 6 hours a day and fed a very fine high nutrient particle food (5 micron Golden Pearls and frozen cyclopeese). I lost a few staghorns, experienced a bleaching event and within 4 months, I was back to normal.

I would NOT recommend this experiment! Its a killer!

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Interesting...wonderful that you were able to save the tank!! What was the point of lowering the temp by a few degrees? Was that less stressful for the corals? What temp do you usually run at?

Wondering how often you do water changes and what percentage do you change?

The hum from those fans would drive me insane...no other way to handle their function in a quieter way? :splitspin

salt-rookie

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ussally run the tank at about 79, dropped it to 77. Its doing so well there, I have maintained it there. Eric said that by having the lights off more, gave them more feeding time and that by feeding them a very palatable food source the Zooanthelle would be regenerated. My colors aren't back to 100%, but I still have a tank filled with healthy corals.

I do weekly water changes of 10%.

The mic on my camera is very hot and was close to the tank....its very soft hum, actually, more like a nice white noise sound.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: