Remiball

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 82.9%
29   6   0
I have a Canon D20 with some good lenses(28-75MM 2.8, 200MM 2.8, 50MM Macro 2.8) . I can't even come close to some of the pics I see on the site.

How do you guys do it. What additional equipment are you using to get these great shots.

I know there has to be a trick.

Marc

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Now, I am nowhere near a great or even a good photographer but I have learned a couple of things. Turn off all pumps for a while, clean the glass and shade the back of the tank and don't use a flash. If you use a flash, the back of the tank will be right in your face. I don't want to see the back of the tank or your kids bicycle through the back of the tank. Above all don't take a picture of a tank with a lettuce clip on the glass.
I use a piece of plywood behind the lights to make the back of the tank go black, like this.
But again, I am no where near a photographer.
CopyofDSC00922.jpg

lazibonez

Senior Newbie
Rating - 100%
379   0   0
I am surprised no one else commented. Paul gave some good tips.
You have some nice lens there. Should be able to take decent pictures.

I would recommend taking pictures perpendicular to the glass surface and not at an angle when possible, so you can get sharper images.

In terms of additional equiptment, definitely get a tripod. Use a remote shutter release device or use timer feature on your camera.

I am no pro either, there are lots of people that knows alot more about photography on this forum. Maybe they are all shy to input. GL.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: