ferrybongo13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Got this guy about a month ago...been feeding it every 3 or so days whole cubes of food...has grown from the size of a golf ball to a soft ball...lol

Attachments

• IMG_4011.JPG
    IMG_4011.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_4017.JPG
    IMG_4017.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_4018.JPG
    IMG_4018.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 280

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
McKostya..not so sure I can agree with you about such infrequent feedings. If you watch marine animals - they are always on the hunt for food. In our glass boxes they are a captive audience, and I see no reason why we can't feed them even more often than they would find food in the wild. Smaller meals of course! :)

Common sense tells me that a RBTA or BTA has all of those tentacles for a reason, especially considering that food sticks to any of them...seems they are designed to grab small particles of food..like mysis and such. At one time I did feed mine half a silverside (pics on here somewhere of him spitting it out), more recently I have been giving them smaller bits of seafood from the market (shrimp, crab), but even more recently I have taken up giving them mysis by the 'pinchful'..and they do grab it with many of their tentacles and deposit in their mouths.
I have never fed the one in my 120 but he has planted himself in the direct path of the flow from the Vortech (about 1 1/2 ft away from it)...and it is in front of the Vortech that I place the mysis daily into the tank. That tells me he is happy there catching bits of food and he has been growning very well also (as have all of my others, they too never seem to move around anymore)
I hardly think they are eating once every 2 or 3 weeks in the wild, unless there is zero food present, but I would also think if that is the case they would move elsewhere.

Small food and frequent meals seems to work best for the group I have :)

mckostya

Lovin', is what I got.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Kathy you could be right. however if you feed your fish regularly, some food will make its way to rbta. if you get a pair of clowns to host, they will bring food as well. we are feeding whole cube of food to rather smaller anemone, every three days!!
i read that it will accept food all the time, but my not be digesting all of it and rather spit it out at some point. uneaten food in your water, is never good!
just my opinion :)

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Kathy you could be right. however if you feed your fish regularly, some food will make its way to rbta. if you get a pair of clowns to host, they will bring food as well. we are feeding whole cube of food to rather smaller anemone, every three days!!
i read that it will accept food all the time, but my not be digesting all of it and rather spit it out at some point. uneaten food in your water, is never good!
just my opinion :)

I swear half the food makes it into the filter sock..lol I have a pair of clowns in my cube tank and any food they get in the little mouths seems to go right down their own throats! Not to mention they are too lazy to even leave whatever anenome they happen to be sitting in at feeding time.

Very true that they will spit out whatever they don't digest, just not sure that would be the case with mysis since it is so small (mine are kinda big), and they are actually catching it as opposed to me plopping a silverside right near their mouth..ya know? :)

All things in moderation !!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: