• Background on Ben

Notice: THIS FORUM MAY CONTAIN MILD PROFANITY
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, preface here.

This is just my opinion, as a long-time aquarist on a professional basis (since the mid 1990s). No one is paying me to say this. I'm not hoping for someone to pay me. This is just my opinion at the moment. Nothing more.

I've been installing and maintaining aquariums as a job since the mid 1990s. I have used sooo many different types of cleaning magnets. I've used all of them I think. Even the one with roller wheels on it from Schuran. A cleaning magnet is an essential piece of equipment for a professional aquarist, so we can quickly clean algae of the viewing panes.

My current go-to for all-purpose cleaning magnet, and absolute most favorite out of any other magnet is the Tunze unit. Recently they even added a chunk of foam you can wrap around the part inside the aquarium in order to make it float if it de-couples. This is welcome but I honestly didn't have to much of an issue with it decoupling at work. It is an improvement though, and I'll take it.

Since it has a thin form factor, it is more agile than any other magnet out there, helping it get to normally harder to reach places. The blades are made in Solingen, Germany which is a region known for kicking out high-quality steel products. The blades are easily replaceable but honestly I have had to switch them out much less frequently than compared to other products. They also seem "sharper" to me and less prone to warping with heavy use. The MagFloat blades are very thin and get damaged easily. The blade on the Flipper is good but blunt as compared to the Tunze blade.

One of my favorite aspects of the Tunze mag is that so much if it are replaceable parts. When using cleaning magnets at work all day, carrying them around, dropping them, throwing them in buckets, etc. .... they get damaged. I can replace damaged sections of this magnet without having to buy a whole new unit. That gets expensive quick.

From time to time I have forgotten my magnet somewhere or accidentally left it at home. This magnet has become so important to my functioning as a professional that I feel naked without it. To be fair, that would be the case without ANY cleaning magnet, but it works so well for me that it has elevated the role of this piece of equipment to me.

Needless to say, I love this damn thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

IBernE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have this one, I Like it too. I use it for the hard coralline or green algaes that grow on the glass but daily I use the small button-like innovative marine magnet cleaner. Strong agile and easier to move than the tunze. I use both of them. BTW do you guys leave the Tunze in the aquarium? I leave my IM one in the tank since its so small i leave it in the back left corner of my 45Cube. I dont see it.

editour2

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I picked up the "strong" magnet for my 1/2 inch glass tank and I'm glad I did. I think the "long" wouldn't do the job as well, (thanks to the above recommendations). Also picked up the floater.

editour2

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Thanks BenCae....I took your advice and I'm happy I did. Even with the strong the magnet sometimes detaches so I can only imagine what the long would do. I have the flipper magnet to and there is no comparison when dealing with tough algae.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: