DREUTZ

Reefs R Madness!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
The new build will utilize Carbon and Phos reactors, but I'm not sure which ones would be good for my setup. It will be a 60 cube with 45gal sump.

I've heard of people not being too happy with the TLF reactors so I was looking at the Bulk Reef Supply reactors:

1 of this:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/dual-brs-gfo-and-carbon-reactor.html

or

2 of these:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/deluxe-brs-gfo-and-carbon-reactor.html

I would rather go with the dual reactor because it looks like it would take up less space, was wondering if having two units would be good for adjusting the individual flow rates through the units.

What does everyone think?

Any input about these reactors or others that people have had good results with would be great!

DREUTZ

Reefs R Madness!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
This dude I unfortunately work with said that he's heard of people using the Next Reef reactors.

How does this reactor get mounted? The large footprint might be a deal breaker depending on where I would need to put it.

It says in the description that you can run dual media due to the large width. Would this be ok to run 1 with the Carbon and GFO in it or does it go back to the issue of using different flow rates through the media?

Are they worth the extra money?

And is that pump that it comes with good or would it be better to get the reactor and a different pump?

http://www.marinedepot.com/NextReef...cal_Reactors-NextReef-NX1113-FIFRISCR-vi.html

What about the MR1 Shorty from SWC?

http://www.saltwatercritters.com/inc/sdetail/1708/1723

Last edited:

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I run 2 TLF reactors, pump is @80gph. rox.08 in the first reactor then into the 2nd reactor that has high capacity gfo from BRS.

I am very happy with the way it works, never have any trouble. 1 x 14$ pump runs both reactors.

my tip would be use less media and change it more often for the best results.

but yea.. TLF works for me.

DREUTZ

Reefs R Madness!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I'm sure they do work for a lot of people but I've read and have heard from friends that because they are so skinny that even small amounts of junk in the tube will clog up the reactor. I'd rather get something that is less maintenance. Also supposedly the materials and craftsmanship are not amazing and leaks will occur.

tenMann2

y is it floating?
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I run the dual BRS reactor, no problem with having phos in the first and gfo in the second. I run the reactor off my manifold, flow is just right, tumbles in the first and steady in the second. My reactor came with a bracket and I just mounted high on my stand out of the way.

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
I also have the brs dual reacter. It works great for me. Never clogs and never have to adjust flow.only thing is its just as large as an rodi unit. Some may find it difficult to hide it completely if you dont have alot of room in you stand

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab

DREUTZ

Reefs R Madness!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
The BRS dual seems like a good price for what it is. Would it be worth it to spend even more money on the next reef MR1 shortys or would the dual be sufficient for my setup? I'd obviously like to spend less money if possible, but would not want to do it at the expense of performance.

I have the Next-Reef MR1 Monster reactor and it works very well, I run both carbon and GFO, one reactor for each. The footprint isn't all that big, it's about 13" by 5" but I guess that's because I'm taking up half of my basement for my tank set up lol

I just read your first post though and I think that based on the size of system you have the BRS are probably best because the Next reef reactors are probably a bit large. I read somewhere that you're only supposed to use 1/2 cup of GFO per 50g or something like that which isn't much at all

Last edited:

DREUTZ

Reefs R Madness!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Unfortunately the tank will be in a condo so I'm limited to the stand. It would be nice to have unlimited room!

The MR1 shorty is the smallest reactor in height (8.5"), but it is a little wider (6"). I need to figure out where I can fit 2 of them. I think at this point I just need to see how much room is in the stand with the sump once the stand is finished.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: