UNICORN

Bubbles
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone well my question today is about sunlight .

unfortunately my 29 g biocube is in my room and unless i want to sit in the dark i have no choice but to open the dark curtains to let some light in .

if i leave the house i close them because i hear awful things about sunlight hitting your tank.

so my question is ? is it really that bad to let any sunlight hit the tank what are some of the bad effects . and how can i look out for the warning signs to look out for ?:fight2:

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Sunlight is ok (and even good sometimes) as long as the tank is stable and doesn't have an over abundance of nutrients. In a small tank you run the risk of temperature swings so if it's direct sunlight I would avoid it. In larger systems that are properly maintained natural light can have amazing results when fed directly into the tank. Do a quick search for light chimneys online and you should find some interesting reading.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Sunlight is ok (and even good sometimes) as long as the tank is stable and doesn't have an over abundance of nutrients. In a small tank you run the risk of temperature swings so if it's direct sunlight I would avoid it. In larger systems that are properly maintained natural light can have amazing results when fed directly into the tank. Do a quick search for light chimneys online and you should find some interesting reading.

+1

I can't remember hearing about the bulbs being changed above nature's reefs. Seems the only light natural reefs get is sunlight. Can't be too bad.....if the temperature and nutrients are being controlled in your tank.

Russ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: