Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! just picked up a 50 gallon tank over the weekend and finally added water last night, this shot were taken about 10 minutes after adding everything, it was much clearer when I checked this morning. Only have about 20lbs of rock so far and used 40lbs of sand.

going to start with fish only, the tank has a really nice canopy as well. I'm going to have to change the lights and filter if I get into corals in a month or two.

I've been an avid scuba diver for about 15 years, absolutely love the ocean and finally decided I need a saltwater tank. Hopefully the tank cycles soon and I can add fish, will post pics as it progresses.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Rating - 100%
141   0   0
Welcome to mr. And hope all goes well with ur tank. 1 word of advice is dont rush the cycles it will save u a problem down the road. We here @ mr love pic and full details on equipt. So keep them coming. Once again welcome.

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
not sure if its an optical illusion but looks like your water line is slightly higher on the right if you look at the top rear of the tank... just make sure everything is level left to right and front to back, may cause the glass to crack down the road if its not... good luck

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard dude btw are you sure thats a 50G? not a 55G instead? Because my tank looks same as yours

Additected To MR =D Lol

I thought the ad said 50, but could be mistaken..

I didn't have a level so my roommate and I used the level on our phones, lol...I think the picture is deceiving cause I measured the water line after and it seems fine.

tank cleared up, going to be adding live rock this weekend.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, just bought 30 lbs of live rock from new world aquarium on 3rd and 38th..going out of business sale $4.50 a lbs. This is before adding the rock, will post pics later once it clears up again.

Thinking about doing adding a shrimp cocktail to speed up the process? or should the 30lbs of live rock be fine? I really don't want to wait a month for the cycle...

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Not all that easy to see in your pix, but it looks like your rock is sitting on top of the sandbed. It is extremely important to push your rocks all the way down to the glass bottom of your tank for stability. Certain sand sifting critters can burrow underneath the rock and cause them to topple over, crash into the glass and cause a major catastrophe.

BTW, welcome to MR

Russ

ZANYMASTER

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
410   0   0
I never thought I'd see the day they would close that place.Good luck with your tank.Might want to consider a skimmer.That hang on power filter may be okay for fish only but not for corals if you're going that route.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the advice about anchoring the rock to the sand, they are just sitting on top right now.

I'm still hesitant about corals for now, definitely want fish only for a few months and then I'm not sure where I'll be living next year so I might wait till I have a better idea on that.

This is how the tank is now, 30 lbs live rock, 20 lbs of "dead" (??) rock 40 lbs of dry sand and only 1 crab that hijacked his way in from the live rock. I'm guessing this is good to start the ammonia? I also read about dropping in a shrimp cocktail

Is the tank ok the way it sits now? since it leans back just a bit

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Hey Joe,

Tank looks great. Before going any further, I would get a real level to make sure it's sitting alright. Glad to see it's coming along. I'm happy to help out with anything else you need. Like I said the other day, I've got your first piece of coral when you're ready.

Josh

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Being a beginner in his 9 month I'll part you some quick bullet points of advice straight from the experience of it all:

- If you ever get to the point of needing a water system (RODI water) don't listen to those guys in New World Aquarium. You CAN use DI water... but the replacement of the cartridges adds fast - just go with an RODI system. Which one - there are a million opinions. I bought mine on Bulk Reef Supply.com. No complaints thus far. I have 0 TDS water for under $200 for my 5 stage system. There are SEVERAL options / opinions about this.

- Live rock is great filtration. I've bought some online with good result. If you are going to cycle- but it now. Don't cycle, then buy large quantity of new rock because you have to cycle again. You might want to consider another 30-50 pounds now even if its just rubble.

- Hang on back filters can't hack it. You should look into a protein skimmer (definite if you go coral). As your tank get more creatures in it I think you'll find that it's more efficient to have the skimmer.

- If you get a skimmer you should consider housing it in a sump tank. You can build one and it takes a little time to go but its going to provide you many avenues to easier management (and better) management of your tank. Setting this up can be a bit expensive ($400 or so - including the skimmer) so your decision to hold off on it might be okay but it might be a bridge you can't avoid.

- Salifert test kits have worked really well for me for testing various things. I find the investment worth it.

- Stay with one salt brand. Shifting from salt to salt brand can mess up your tank specs.

- Think about your lighting. The second you EVEN THINK about coral do your research for about a month. I'm currently stuck with light that can't support the corals I now want.

- Consider having two heaters. One set a degree lower than the other. This is a good redundancy in case one fails while your away.

- Record your water parameters weekly (ph, etc etc). I've found it EXTREMELY helpful in monitoring the health of whats going on. If something looks weird and you test you can compare it to a past point and identify what might be causing the situation.

- Invest in a refractometer - not the swing arm type. Much more accurate.

- Invest in a TDS meter if you go the RO/DI route (which you should)

- MOST IMPORTANTLY - TAKE YOUR TIME - I'll say it again - TAKE YOUR TIME!!! This is an expensive hobby. I avoided many problems by taking time (which was painful to watch a tank with simply water in it for about two months - couldn't get nitrate down). Avoiding these troubles allowed me to save money which I got to invest in that sump tank.

- Stock / change slowly. Salt water tanks are sensitive. If you make ANY change it can have an effect. As a scientist try to limit a change (new foods, fish etc) to every couple weeks. Thus if you see things going wrong you can pin it down quickly.

- Utilize Manhattan Reefs. People here are super friendly, helpful, and make you feel confident about the hobby. You can even find parts used on the cheap. Everyone I have dealt with have been extremely helpful and supportive.

- Consider one of those battery back up units for your tank. Even if its only 15 minutes of power - it could be the 15 minutes that save your tank in an hour or so of power outage.

- Invest over time. Like I said it's expensive. But it can be managed like the investment it is. You're in the basics now. Stock good testing kits. Then stock some nice livestock. Consider the RODI system. Then start to consider any upgrades to filtration, power heads, or back up power. Then consider light if you want corals. I put a budget of about $200 a month on my tank and over the 10 months I've used that budget to really establish all the equipment, fixtures, livestock I want. (still need a UV sterilizer - that's next I think). Remember - Rome isn't build in a day ~ neither will your evolving fish tank!

If you have any other rookie questions please feel to ask me - I made a ton of them!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: