BlackMoor

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MY CBS has gotten rather large. The lights turned off in my tank and I stopped by for some observation. The CBS had gotten his arms around something green that was curled into a "C". He was definitely eating it too. What could this have been?? It itself was rather large. Clearly, I have never seen this in there either. I have no corals , just a clean up crew of crabs and snails. Any ideas?? No pics due to when I put a light on it, it froze and then took it behind the rocks.

reefnhard

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
i once had my cbs eat a bristle worm pulled him right out of the rock and i also had a clown fish eat a hermit crab with the shell and all only to choke on it...so crazy things do happen as far as what it was unless u got a better description no help

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
LOL yea man CBS are good if you only want to have 1 cheap shrimp..a lot of people buy them because they are cheap..unfortunately the reality of it is that they DO kill all other shrimp and inverts and even fish. They are not a good critter to have in your tank and this should make you think twice before buying something w/o doing the proper research first. The website liveaquaria.com has compatibility and information on most animals so it's a good reference point and of course there is always :google:

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
this should make you think twice before buying something w/o doing the proper research first.
Normally I try to research everything, but Jerl told me this would be an ideal reef addition! That guy is nothing but trouble!

for the record, my CBS has been no problem, even with other shrimp for over 3 years...only last 6 months has become a terror!

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Normally I try to research everything, but Jerl told me this would be an ideal reef addition! That guy is nothing but trouble!

for the record, my CBS has been no problem, even with other shrimp for over 3 years...only last 6 months has become a terror!
Ahh damn that Jerl..he's always starting trouble! LOL Every animal is different man you could have a very aggressive fish that isn't that aggressive and vice versa sometimes certain fish nip at corals when they shouldn't and vice versa..ya never know. Your cbs might have been ok for a few years or maybe it was taking out creatures that you didn't notice. By nature they are little fawkers! I have heard so many bad things about them. I almost picked up a pair from a guy once but I looked them up and was like nahh forget it lol. I'm telling you they are cheap and pretty nice looking that's what suckers people in. Just like damsels..you can't go wrong w/ a $3 fish right? Especially when you are first starting such an expensive hobby. Til the lil bastid kills everything else you put in there that ISN'T $3!

jnelson

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
My CBS has not killed anything YET but I'm actually afraid it might.

It chills over on one side of my tank in one of the "arches" I set up, hanging upside down. When other fish swim past it, it has actually started grabbing at them with its claws. Might be time to net him and get him out.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: