Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently set up another tank. This one is a 40 gal (already cycled). It is going to become a reef tank after it matures for a few months. I know that it is part of the setup process, but how long does it usually take for diatom algae to clear up? I can not remember how long it took with my other two tanks. As everyone knows this stuff looks ugly..

40 gal:

27 lbs of LR
60 lbs of agranite and LS
6 turbos
6 ceriths
7 nassarius
6 hermits
4 blue
2 red
coral beauty
hippo tang
banded coral shrimp
linckia star

marineland c-220 (no room for a sump in the apt)
CP750 power-head
36" solarmax HE

Skimmer will be in another couple of weeks (need $$$)

I have the feeling that I am forgetting something..

:bagfish:

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Welcome to MR.
I believe the Blue Hippo Tang is a bit big for a tank of that size. He'll eat like a beast (as they don't call him a hippo for nothing) and will pollute your water heavily. Jmo.
And yeah, I almost forgot. Coral Beauty will most likely become a coral nipper as well.

Belwell

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
+1 blue hippo comment. Also the cycle can be up to 2 months in all honesty. But the algae with proper lighting and filtration should clear in like 3 weeks or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to MR.
I believe the Blue Hippo Tang is a bit big for a tank of that size. He'll eat like a beast (as they don't call him a hippo for nothing) and will pollute your water heavily. Jmo.
And yeah, I almost forgot. Coral Beauty will most likely become a coral nipper as well.

Thank you for the welcome to MR!! I LOVE this site. It was actually referred to me by a good friend.
Yeah, i know about the coral beauty. I tried to tell the wife that, but you know how that goes. lol.. He will more than likely be moved to one of the other tanks b4 the corals start to come. As you probably know the tank is a FOWLR tank now. I know that the hippo will become too big for this tank, but he is only about 4" now, if even that. So hopefully he can calm the growing down b4 we move out where I will be setting up a 200 gal. We will see..

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Thank you for the welcome to MR!! I LOVE this site. It was actually referred to me by a good friend.
Yeah, i know about the coral beauty. I tried to tell the wife that, but you know how that goes. lol.. He will more than likely be moved to one of the other tanks b4 the corals start to come. As you probably know the tank is a FOWLR tank now. I know that the hippo will become too big for this tank, but he is only about 4" now, if even that. So hopefully he can calm the growing down b4 we move out where I will be setting up a 200 gal. We will see..
200 gallon sounds nice....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: