lsi

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I recently began dosing my 29g with a BRS 2 part solution, and found that the recommended daily dose of .4-.6ml/gallon for a tank with a few SPS really doesn't cut it. I have to dose about 45ml of calc and alk (1.4ml/gallon) just to barely keep up with the demand. The alk drops more than 1 dkH between the dosings.

Most of my corals are softies and LPS, and I have 2 small SPS frags and a 4-5" monti cap, so it's not exactly an SPS forest. I do have some new coralline growing all over the plastic parts everywhere, though, but it's not THAT much.

Does this seem right?

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
I recently began dosing my 29g with a BRS 2 part solution, and found that the recommended daily dose of .4-.6ml/gallon for a tank with a few SPS really doesn't cut it. I have to dose about 45ml of calc and alk (1.4ml/gallon) just to barely keep up with the demand. The alk drops more than 1 dkH between the dosings.

Most of my corals are softies and LPS, and I have 2 small SPS frags and a 4-5" monti cap, so it's not exactly an SPS forest. I do have some new coralline growing all over the plastic parts everywhere, though, but it's not THAT much.

Does this seem right?

Seems like way too much to me. I would guess that it's either precipitating out or your test kits are bad.

rambler67

Addicted to MR
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
What test kit are you using? i had a problem with my api kit was around 50ppm off the salfert kit. how is your magnesium with it dropping like that sound like your mg. could be low i had the same problem i couldn't get my cal over 300 because my mg was really low.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

lsi

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Ca seems to be stable around 450, per the salifert test kit, just the Alk that seems to be depleted very quickly. I don't have a test kit for Mg yet, but I thought that with low levels of Mg I wouldn't be able to keep the calc at a stable 450.

Salifert and API kits for calc do show different readings, btw.

rambler67

Addicted to MR
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
If your cal stay around 450 then most likely your mag is up but would defiantly be a good idea to keep an eye on it.as for the alk how often do you dose? you have to read the bottle and it will tell you how much it will go up for the dose. i use esv and it says if i use 1 ml per gallon it will raise it 2.07 dkh. so you may need to read the bottle.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: