Reef22

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to this site as well as a Saltwater Tank, I currently have 16-FW tanks in which are African Cichlid Tanks.
I am wanting to take a small tank, a 46-gal. Bowfront and make a Reef Tank.

Is this a good equipment list for this 46-gal. Bowfront Tank ?
I have a 24" - PC Light.
I have both a extra 250W or 300w heater, I would use (1)
Is this AquaC Remora w/MJ1200 Protein Skimmer all that I need ?
I plan 40lbs. or so of Live Rock.
I plan 80lbs or so of Live Sand.
2- Powerheads.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I would like to do this right the first try but the more I read the more confused I get....:scratch:

Last edited:

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Hey dude!! Welcome to Manhattanreefs!!

To your list you will want to add an RODI unit
Ebay RODI

This will also help with your freshwatersetups. Clean water is always the way to start a reef tanks so you will not be battleing algae.

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Welcome to MR!

can you tell us more about your light (wattage, lamps etc..), and maybe give us an idea of what types of corals you plan to keep? That would give us a better idea of what your goal is and what you should aquire.

Welcome!

Rich

chrisl1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other things you may want to consider.

You will need some power heads in there for additional circulation. Will you be using a sump or a refugium, if a refugium you'll need additional lighting for it. Personally I would go a bit heavier with the rock than 40# maybe 60 ish, the more rock the more benifical surface area for natural filtration. You also have to rememeber PC lighting is going to limit your choices for what you can put in the tank,you maybe able to put things in there, but to have the stuff thrive maybe another story.. Use a quality salt Tropic marin etc.

Good Luck!
Chris

nycfatcow

Rating - 95.8%
23   1   0
Lighting depends on the type of corals that you want...i started off with PCs...then decided to upgrade to MHs....also i think you need more live rock....40lbs is too little in my opinion....and as others recommened more circulation with PHs

chasesng

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
you should pretty much figure you wont get it rite the first time. you'll feel less stupid that way when something goes wrong. dont know how much from you know from your fw tanks but i'll assume nothing. you should definitely read a beginner book for some of the basics; it will help dull the confusion.

vets can correct me, but since i'm just getting started with my tank, i'll pass along a few of the basics that i've learned in the last few weeks.

the reason they ask about lights is cuz there are 3 basic components to SW tanks...fish, corals and rock. if you want corals, your gonna need the more expensive lighting. for just "fish" or "fish and rock", regular lighting should do just fine.

these guys can get carried away with their equipment .... most impt components are 1)protein skimmer, 2) powerheads 3) lighting. they love the lighting cuz they love their corals. its like underwater gardening

basic theory and premise behind reef tanks is that porous rock becomes a host or kind of condominium for bacteria which helps convert the natural waste of the fish into less harmful stuff. this is good and something you want to happen. the bacteria can also live in the sand. your at a website that focuses on reefs so these guys are all big propenents of the live rock (which is what they call it once the bacteria moves in). however, some of them think its better to go with no sand in the tank (barebottom) and some guys go with shallow sand bed while others go deep sand bed. supposedly u should either have less than an inch or more than 4 inches of sand, anything in between is a potential problem.

the process and time for the bacteria to move into and onto the rock/sand bed is called the "cycle" . when left to itself with no special chemical enhancements, it can tank 4-6 weeks for the tank to cycle. you should NOT put fish in the tank until the tank has cycled.

also....be very cautious of employees of local fish stores my reading and experience with sites like this one is that these guys are smarter and more experienced..plus they dont need to sell you anything to keep their jobs.

based on your initial list of stuff, i'd switch the amounts of rock and sand. more rock is better. the remora has gotten good reviews so thats a good choice for a skimmer for a smaller tank like your contemplating).

you need to get some powerheads to move the water. you should figure on 2 powerheads. their combined 'gallons per hour' of movement should be at least 6x the volume of your tank, altho most guys go with a minimum of 10x the tank. some go over 20x. the fish are use to lots of waves so they dont mind ... its like exercise for them. plus the water movement keeps the crap (formally known as detritus) from settling in the tank. i think most guys also have some form "mechanical" filter to catch that detritus. snails and crabs are excellent natural recyclers of detritus.

(they call the rock a biological filter).

most of em have such big tanks that they put most of their equipment in smaller tanks that they stick under the main tank. they call these sumps or refugiums. the guys seem to get pretty creative with pumps and pipes to keep the water cycling between the main tank and the sumps. its over my head at this point, but im hoping to graduate some day. thing i havent figured out is how to keep my floor from caving in from the weight of a double tank system filled with water sand and rock.

thats enuf for now. just remember that there are a number of different opinions and very little gospel. its an amusing ride.

Reef22

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Guys,

I feel that I'm going with Fish and Live Rock only to try to keep it simple as possible at first.
I have 2 Powerheads, (forgot to list them in my post).
I'll go with 60 lbs. of Live Rock for natural filtration. Who is the best & cheapest to order on line for Live Rock ?
Live Sand - Why would 2" of live sand not be better than 1" of live sand ? ?
" That confuses the heck out of me "
Does everybody feel that the AquaC Remora w/MJ1200 is my best option for a small 46-gal.Bowfront Tank ?? And is this all that I need for Filtration ???
From what I've been told by my LFS that my PC light would be fine with new PC bulb for FOLR.
I'm just wanting to try this without braking my pocket book, if the tank goes good, I'll graduate to a 90 or 100 gal tank in the future.

Thanks to all who responded !!

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Welcome to MR. I agree wholeheartedly with Herman, get an RO/DI filter. It will at least start you off on the right foot.

Everybody's been mentioning about lighting, water circulation and additional LR because in your first post you mentioned starting a reef. A fish only with LR (FOWLR) tank is not considered a reef.

Since you're only going to do fish, NO (normal output) flourescent lighting will be fine). The AquaC Remora for skimming is also fine. Two powerheads should work as well.

A very important piece of equipment to acquire upfront is a refractometer. This is used to measure salinity in your tank. Use this instead of getting a hydrometer. You'll be very glad you did.

Good luck and post some pix as you progress.
Russ

Manny

Flying Kimura
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
masterswimmer said:
A very important piece of equipment to acquire upfront is a refractometer. This is used to measure salinity in your tank. Use this instead of getting a hydrometer. You'll be very glad you did.

Why is that? I'm usung a hydrometer now.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
a refractometer is a wise investment as master said...
A very important piece of equipment to acquire upfront is a refractometer.

Why is that? I'm usung a hydrometer now.

A refractometer measures the salinity and specific gravity in the water. compared to a hydrometer, there very accurate.. there usually +/- 1 from the actual...

you can usually find them on ebay for like $30.00

joseney21

FDNY MEDIC
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
i think drsfostersmith.com has good live rock deals....not cured, semi cured and cured, i don't like the cured myself.

HYDROMETERS are fine, they gauge the salinity of tanks pretty accurately, by this i mean they don't vary from one day to the next (but may vary from one hydrometer to the next). you just have to calibrate it with a saltwater solution.

I know a Deanos, one of the moderators and also the link guru here, posted a link on how to do this with the hydrometers.i'll try to find it
for you.

joseney21

FDNY MEDIC
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
let me edit that last post....in the past i've done a half assed job at taking care of my reef, and to me (and many others) it looked great.but half assedness starts to spread and eventually you cut too many corners and end up messing things up.i've just recently decided to maintain optimal husbandry when taking care of my reef and fish, and if thats my goal i need to get good equipment, not just equipment that will cut it. i think i just convinced myself while looking for the link to help calibrate hydrometers that i should buy a refractomer. a hydrometer worked for me but a refractometer will work better.

if you want to keep your animals as happy as you can get better, most times more expensive equipment.this may burn through cash a whole lot faster, but that just means you wait a little longer to setup the tank. you'll actually save time 'cuz mistakes and half assedness take longer to fix when they catch up to you.

Last edited:

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I would suggest going elsewhere for Live rock. My order from DR. F&S, looks no better then bleached dead rock. After 3 months of being in my tank it is now getting a little color.

Everything white in this picture is Fiji Premium from Dr. F&S. (I wont order LR from them again). The circled stuff is from Reefexotics. Like previously mentioned ask on the boards and save some money.
ft2.JPG

Im sure others probably had better experience with Dr. F&S... but I wasn't happy.

Rich

joseney21

FDNY MEDIC
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
coraline comes with time either way, the live rock from foster and smith is a good deal. but if you do want purple rock right from the go, you would be better off buying it somewhere where you could cherry pick your pieces. this will cost you quite a bit more money though.usually, if you have a local reefing board which i'm sure you do, you can find great deals on live rock, equipment, livestock and coral buying from local members.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
jose, the difference between calibrating a hydrometer and using a refractometer is night and day. A hydrometer can be calibrated, but you also have to make sure you don't have ANY micro bubbles in there either.

I've known people who switch from hydro's to refract's and have found that their salinity was off by .005, which is the difference between 1.025 & 1.030. That is a huge swing in SG.

I'm glad you decided to go with the refractometer after all. It will make your reefkeeping a whole lot more enjoyable.

Reef22, the best place online to buy LR IMO is reefermadness.us . There customer service and selection of LR is fantastic. I did a group buy for a few people and ordered almost a 1/2 ton of LR. Not one person was disappointed.

Russ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: